SSD's are on Sale !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac8867, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mac8867 macrumors 6502

OK, Just about a year ago, we were all raving about the Intel X25-M's and the OCZ Vertex drives... lamenting the mega $$ for the 160 GB or 250 GB models... etc etc... I broke down back then and picked up, what is now considered a paltry 300 MB/sec OCZ drive (which I love)... I had to such a hard time deciding to buy that one over the intel X25m.

Well, let me tell you, I just picked up an X25M for $180 on Amazon. I plan to remove the platter drive I have in my optical bay and go completely ssd. Mostly for power consumption reasons, truth be told.

So, the moral of the story, 300 MB/sec is still blazingly fast... and if you are OK with "last years" cadillac, great deals on SSD drives are out there to be had.

2. MastaK macrumors member

I've already spent almost 1000 on two SSDs past 2 weeks, I think I can stop buying these damn things :D

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Unfortunately, you won't really see a drop in power usage with a SSD over HDD. They use very similar amounts of power, and what the SSD doesn't use itself, it uses with slightly higher CPU usage.

4. mac8867 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is not consistent with my observations and experience (when my first platter drive failed). However, in about a week, I will be able to produce empirical measurements to prove one of us correct :D fair enough?

Of course, I admit, the 7200 RPM scorpio black is a monster power sucker, so any gain I see may be a simple result of getting better.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My XT Momentus HDD is 7200 RPM with 4GB of solid state in it and I've noticed an improvement in battery life from my old stock 5200 RPM HITACHI.

6. Azadre macrumors 6502

As much as I'd love to upgrade my geek cred by getting an SSD, I think the cost does not justify the performance benefit especially considering that in a few years these will probably be standard (or we'll be using tablets with cloud storage)

7. teddat macrumors member

teddat

I'm with you. it depends on the SSD. the newest sandforce controllers are spec-ed to be up to 2w idle power use and upto 3w active. the x25-m and stock samsung, tosh, are less than 1w idle and active.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They seem to be too hit or miss to recommend. You either get one that works with your Mac or you have a 2.5" nightmare.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Words of a person that hasn't bought one. Trust me, you buy and install an SSD you'll never look back. The performance is night and day.