Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy M.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
So I was reading some reviews lately on the 2011 model iMac. Although I was just reading lightly, I noticed a review saying that Apple used the same SSDs available in the 2010 model: the Toshiba models.

When I look at the benchmark speeds of the BTO Apple drive available in the 2011 model, it's much lower than the higher-end models that we can buy now. This makes sense them being almost 2 years old now (If I read correctly).

Do you believe Apple will upgrade their BTO SSDs to match the prices they are selling them at currently? Hell, do you guys think it will become a standard configuration? :p One can only hope!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
So I was reading some reviews lately on the 2011 model iMac. Although I was just reading lightly, I noticed a review saying that Apple used the same SSDs available in the 2010 model: the Toshiba models.

When I look at the benchmark speeds of the BTO Apple drive available in the 2011 model, it's much lower than the higher-end models that we can buy now. This makes sense them being almost 2 years old now (If I read correctly).

Do you believe Apple will upgrade their BTO SSDs to match the prices they are selling them at currently? Hell, do you guys think it will become a standard configuration? :p One can only hope!

I doubt they will become standard - the cost per GB is way too high.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I doubt they will become standard - the cost per GB is way too high.

At some point, SSDs will become standard. In any case, I will BTO my new iMac to the largest SSD available.

What I expect (eventually), is a small (maybe 128 GB) SSD standard with a standard HDD installed. Hopefully, they will include an intelligent caching utility that monitors usage, so that the SSD will automatically store the data that gives the greatest performance.

/Jim

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
At some point, SSDs will become standard. In any case, I will BTO my new iMac to the largest SSD available.

What I expect (eventually), is a small (maybe 128 GB) SSD standard with a standard HDD installed. Hopefully, they will include an intelligent caching utility that monitors usage, so that the SSD will automatically store the data that gives the greatest performance.

/Jim

Same here. I'm hoping for a 512 GB, but if not, i'll go with whatever the highest is and buy a Thunderbolt SSD as well.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

/Jim

Yeah I could see that happening soon. Then again Apple does what Apple wants to do.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
We will most definitely see a small price reduction, but not anywhere near a show stopper.

I too will be upgrading and buying the largest SSD they offer. As much as I want the price to drop, I also want them to include updated SSD's.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I think Apple's SSDs wll eventually benchmark better. But at the same time I think you are missing the point if you look at benchmarking alone. The benchmarks for V3 vs V2 SSDs are pretty substantial (for example vertex2 vs vertex3). but the real world performance is somewhat negligible. Sure Apple's SSDs don't benchmark nearly as well, but will you be able to tell the difference? probably not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.