SSD's on new macbook pro's to be on the logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henrikrox, Jan 19, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Now, its really exciting to see what apple is going to do with the mbp in 2011. i really like the 13" form factor, but i feel like the GPU this year is going to be a let down for the 13". Now theres been talk about removing the superdrive etc, but im not going to go into that.

With the macbook air, you got ssd soldier on the logic board, now, could this happen for the mbp aswell? That brings me to two points.

1) If the hdd, was soldier on the logic board on the 13", would this save space for a discrete gpu on the 13"

2) However, with soldiering the ssd on the motherboard, this remove the ability to upgrade the harddrive? toshiba ssd's arent actually blazing fast.

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

If so, I am hanging on to my current gen mbp for dear life.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're mixing up RAM and SSD on the Macbook Airs. RAM is soldered, SSD is not. It's a replaceable "blade" style.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Soldering the HDD to the logic board wouldn't save any space at all if it were a standard HDD, as it still would take up a bunch of room. The SSDs in the MBAs actually aren't soldered, they just connect directly to the logic board.

Using the stick type SSDs would save space, however, it would severely limit storage space and upgrade options, so I think that will be an Air-only feature for a good while. SSD prices are dropping a bit, but a 512GB model is still about $1300-1400, which is more than the 13" MBP itself. That's in no way practical at this point in time, so HDDs are here to stay, considering you can get a 500GB 7200 RPM drive for about $70, or 5% of the price of an SSD.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The SSD in MBAs is not soldered. It's a mSATA SSD which is just held by one screw, very easy to upgrade. I don't think the space is an issue. Other OEMs have been able to fit a discrete GPU in 13" models just fine.

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I wouldn't go that far -- it is changeable, but not designed to be user-serviceable.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't say it's any harder than upgrading the HD or RAM in MBP, where HD and RAM are considered as user-serviceable parts. The hardest part is to find a correct screw driver to open it

8. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

1: Perhaps.

2: Perhaps.

3: Perhaps.

4: Herpies.

5: Perhaps.

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

1) I don't believe space to be an issue, look at what Sony can fit in a 13"

2) Yes this would remove the ability to upgrade but it doesn't make much sense. Apple would have to stick to very few build options if they were to go ahead with this.

10. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

why do people want discrete graphics on the 13" mbp? The shared 320m is quite powerful, and by using shared memory it doesn't heat that much. if you used a discrete gpu in the 13 mbp it would overheat in no time. don't you see the temperatures of the 15MBP when using the discrete cpu? i hardly works on windows (because of overheat), and works good in mac but it gets really really hot. they could just use a better shared gpu in the 13, no need for a discrete

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not possible due to licensing policies between Intel and NVidia. NVidia has no license to do chipsets for iX CPUs, thus there cannot be something similar to 320M with newer Intel CPUs

12. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

well, sandy bridge already has an integrated gpu (Intel HD graphics) which is said to be better than 320m, so basically it's an improvement if the shared gpu.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm with ya on this. I have a 13" and im quite satisfied with the integrated graphics. It's light on the battery as well. I work with audio so I've no need for more powerful graphics. Anyone working on any graphic intensive stuff would surely want more resolution then is on the 13" anyway. I know everyone has their own set of needs. But every computer can't be everything to everyone.

14. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I know someone who broke a USB port while trying to plug in an external drive. (The individual, who shall remain unnamed, forced the connector in upside down -- and actually got it all the way in!)

I know -- not the target market, right? But "very easy" has to be fool-proof as well IMHO, and any time you're inside the case, it's too simple to brick the whole machine.

But your point is well taken.