SSD's switched to read only, refuses to let me change them back!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Upgrader, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Upgrader, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

Upgrader macrumors 6502

Upgrader

I have two PCIe SSD's in my cMP - a boot drive (OWC Accelsior, slot 2) and a media drive (SM951, slot 4).

I installed Mojave about a week ago - everything has been fine until now.

I restarted the machine yesterday and shortly afterwards found that the project I was working on couldn't be saved to the media drive.

Checked permissions on both drives and found that they're both now read only.

Please see the attached pics: Media drive says it's read only but the three owners are all set to read and write. System drive says it's read only but the owners are a mix of read and write and read only. When I try to change permissions it tells me I don't have permission! I'm set up as an administrator.

I can choose to ignore ownership on the media drive but it makes no difference.

All pretty confusing - does anybody recognise this or know a fix? Is it a Mojave bug?

Thanks.

Media drive.png System drive.png

Attached Files:

2. rpmurray macrumors regular

Have you tried using Disk Utility to run First Aid on the drives?

I'd suggest that you make backups of both drives before attempting a repair. Apple's QA has been getting worse with every new OS with Mohave and APSF both being a bag of hurt. So it would be prudent to have backups in case both drives get totally hosed by Apple's latest screw-ups.

3. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

I’ve tried running first aid but to no avail. Maybe the old ‘repair permissions’ option would’ve fixed this but that option no longer exists. I also have multiple back ups.

4. krakman macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my spinner HD which was formatted as APFS and used as a cloned backup of my Mojave SSD.

Only solution I found was to format the drive as HFS.

But now get Info still says read only but i can write to it???

I'm using the 10.14.1 beta....might just be a bug?

5. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Never heard of anything like this before. You have the two SSDs on different controllers?

One thing that jumps out at me though is you're using an OWC SSD. I've heard enough horror stories about their SSDs that I would never put critical data on one. It may not be related to your issue, but I think it's a possibility worth exploring.

Can you just restore from one of your backups made prior to this happening?

6. Upgrader, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018

Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

It's baffling I agree. It does sound bug-like but I'd imagine it would be much more widespread if it was. I might switch the format back to HFS.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    Yep, separate lanes - OWC drive is slot 2 (boot drive) and the SM951 (media drive) is on a Lycom DT120 in slot 4. I've also read the horror stories re OWC but I've not experienced them myself - it's always performed ok for me though I am looking forward to getting an NVMe SSD to replace it.

Although both drives say read only I can still write to the system drive ok. I can't write to the media drive. I was hoping there might be a fix before resorting to a drive restore but I may try that anyway.
    Ok so I tried selecting 'ignore ownership on this volume' on the SM951 media drive. I restarted and now everything is working normally again. Feels pretty bug-like to me.

7. Ludacrisvp macrumors 6502

What does this show from terminal:
    # ls -l /Volumes

8. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

Hi - can you explain what this command does please? I'm reluctant to enter commands into terminal that I know nothing about.

9. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Don't worry. It's safe to run it. That command lists details about every drive on your system (/Volumes is the directory where that info is stored). Edit: and you're smart to be skeptical. Always good to know what exactly a command is supposed to do before you run it! :)

10. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

Cheers, it shows this:

Attached Files:

11. Thomas J macrumors newbie

Thomas J

In the get info view, unlock it and click the box ignore ownership on this volume.

12. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

I already tried this, restarted and everything is now working normally again. I mentioned this above but it got merged into another post so it's easy to miss.

13. Thomas J macrumors newbie

Thomas J

14. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

My SM951 media drive is still HFS+ - does anyone know if it's recommend to reformat it as APFS?

15. Sko macrumors 6502

Sko

A shot in the dark, but maybe your CMOS battery is depleted. macOS won't let you change anything on a drive if it finds that the system date isn't correct.

16. bookemdano macrumors 65816

I don't think there is any compelling reason to convert a non-system drive to APFS. I'd leave it be, myself.

17. Upgrader thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgrader

The system usually alerts you when that battery runs low doesn't it?

18. Ludacrisvp macrumors 6502

Not for a cmos battery. This is for bios.
    I’ve never heard of this. What it sometimes doesn’t let you do is install programs like MacOS updates due to certificate signing.