SSE4 Applications

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Salty Pirate, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

OK:

Got my new MBP. What are some apps that currently have the SSE4 instructions in them so I can marvel at the speed since everyone is universally telling me my new book is slower than the SR.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm pretty sure that nothing in OS X is optimized for SSE4 yet... Somebody, i'd love to be proven wrong though since i just ordered a penryn MBP :D.

I think the optimizations will slowly get built into apps...

3. Salty Pirate thread starter macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

so would not itunes encoding include it? I would assume the apple pro apps would have it?

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Something tells me with 10.5.3 and onward we will see a lot of SSE4 optimizations in Leopard (not to mention other non-Apple apps) now that 2 notebooks have Penryn, and there's no doubt in my mind that the iMac (Mac Mini maybe?) will have it soon too. Does the custom chip in the MBA's have SSE4 too? How about the Mac Pro?

5. bamf macrumors 6502

The Air uses a Merom based chip that has been shrunk, so it does not have SSE4 instructions. The new Mac Pro's are Penryn based chips, so yes they does support SSE4.

6. honeycrisp macrumors regular

What is it?

7. propropro macrumors regular

I hope some update soon to support SSE4, as it has benn tested that could improve performance up to 40%-60% at the same clock speed