SSH and remote login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EricBrian, Mar 23, 2010.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I've followed the instructions on
    http://support.suso.com/supki/SSH_Tutorial_for_Linux

I've created a key and public key, uploaded the key to the remote server and then exited from the remote server. Then, I ssh'd to the remote server and I was able to access it without typing in my password. After this, I closed my terminal session.

The next day, when I ssh'd to the remote server, I had to enter my password again.

Why is that? Is it because I exited out of terminal? If so, how do I get it to prompt me for my passphrase when I start the terminal?

Thanks.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Are you wanting to connect without using a password?

If so, then you may need to write a script to pass the key when you first connect, or there may be a terminal command to pass the key. Are you trying to automate something?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would think that's a security mechanism and there's little you can do to get around it, AFAIK

4. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

There should be a terminal command. I know because somebody told me what it was and gave me a demo on his mac. However, 2 years is too long ago for me to remember.

What he did was to have that command in his .bash_profile and so when he started a terminal window, it would prompt him for his passphrase.

Thanks.