Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with getting root access to my VZ iphone. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Been searching the internet trying to find an answer and always come up short.

Everytime I try I get connection refused
Network Error: Connection failed

connection refused

I think I have everything I need. Openssh is installed on the jailbroken iphone. I have cyberduck and fugu installed on my mac. Is there anything else software wise I'd need? I've tried it with two different ip's at different homes, I've had the ssh icon turned on in SBsettings, tried root and alpine for username and password. tried different ports. Tried with Terminal but, nothing seems to work. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I want to say there is something else I have to enable on either the mac or the iphone before it will let me get root access

Hopefully you guys can help figure this out, because I've no idea what to do.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
The only thing that I can think of (which also tripped me up when I first tried the SSH connection) is to make sure you're pointing to the correct IP address. I was trying to connect to the "data IP address" until I realized I needed the "Wifi IP address".

Other then that I have no clue, but I am sure someone else will come along with an answer for you.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
If you have SBSettings installed, you have to connect to port 22 of the iPhone's WiFi address that is displayed on the dropdown. Also, make sure SSH is actually turned on via the toggle.

happyrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
The only thing that I can think of (which also tripped me up when I first tried the SSH connection) is to make sure you're pointing to the correct IP address. I was trying to connect to the "data IP address" until I realized I needed the "Wifi IP address".

Other then that I have no clue, but I am sure someone else will come along with an answer for you.
Yeah I've only been using the wifi address
If you have SBSettings installed, you have to connect to port 22 of the iPhone's WiFi address that is displayed on the dropdown. Also, make sure SSH is actually turned on via the toggle.

Did all that. The toggle is on and everything.

30ji6o8.png

2qbruyg.png

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
No rudeness intended by the "duh" nature of this but... I'm assuming your phone is NOT in sleep mode when you're trying to SSH into it via CD, and your WiFi is currently on?

#2 is probably a "of course", but I got so used to disabling mine when I wasn't using it over just a few days I ended up once getting raged at why it wouldn't connect and then realized I disabled it when I picked up my phone and ran to the store in between sessions.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I know it might sound odd, but a year or two ago when I couldn't log into SSH I tried leaving out a digit or two from the IP address. For example if the address on your iphone under SBSettings says 192.168.1.102...I would try leaving out the last 2 digits "02"

Last week I had a heck of a time trying to log into SSH at work and at home. I rejailbroke my phone and installed openSSH again and everything worked fine after that. As as last resort I'd say restore again and see what happens.

Let us know if you get it working! Hope this helps.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
No rudeness intended by the "duh" nature of this but... I'm assuming your phone is NOT in sleep mode when you're trying to SSH into it via CD, and your WiFi is currently on?

This tripped me up for the longest time when I first started...durr hurr :confused: Never hurts to ask but gotta ask you know?

happyrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011

#2 is probably a "of course", but I got so used to disabling mine when I wasn't using it over just a few days I ended up once getting raged at why it wouldn't connect and then realized I disabled it when I picked up my phone and ran to the store in between sessions.

hey dude, its wango from pbn, I posed the same question there but no one there could help me out either.

Phone isn't in sleep. When i'm fiddling around with it, I turn auto lock off. I'm gonna try it again at my school, which has a different ip address, but I figure if I've already tried it on two different ones, thats not really the problem. This is really starting to get annoying.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
@happyrock, how are you verifying the wifi address of your iPhone? How do you know you're SSHing into the right IP?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Your iPhone and the computer you are trying to connect with ARE on the same network aren't they?

happyrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
@happyrock, how are you verifying the wifi address of your iPhone? How do you know you're SSHing into the right IP?
I checked both under settings, and it says the ip address in SBsettings. Both are the same
Your iPhone and the computer you are trying to connect with ARE on the same network aren't they?
both times I tried, they were on the same network

I'm trying them on my schools wifi and I'm getting somewhere I think. It doesn't connect, but it doesnt say connection refused. It tries to open it with cyberduck, but then says connection failed and my ip address.

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Edit: Just saw you are on a school wifi. Try it on a personal network and see if it works.

I would remove and install openshh again. I would assume there are no ssh issues with the verizon iPhone.

Make sure the iPhone is on the same WiFi network as your mac. Are you using little snitch and accidentally denied CyberDuck any network access?

Try in terminal just to see if you can establish a connection.

Open terminal

ssh root@192.168.2.1 (or whatever your IP is)

it might ask you to type "yes" due to unknown key.
Does that work?

Last edited:

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with getting root access to my VZ iphone. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Been searching the internet trying to find an answer and always come up short.

Everytime I try I get connection refused

I think I have everything I need. Openssh is installed on the jailbroken iphone. I have cyberduck and fugu installed on my mac. Is there anything else software wise I'd need? I've tried it with two different ip's at different homes, I've had the ssh icon turned on in SBsettings, tried root and alpine for username and password. tried different ports. Tried with Terminal but, nothing seems to work. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I want to say there is something else I have to enable on either the mac or the iphone before it will let me get root access

Hopefully you guys can help figure this out, because I've no idea what to do.
Try using diskaid, it works well for me... I use an att iPhone 4...

happyrock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Edit: Just saw you are on a school wifi. Try it on a personal network and see if it works.

I would remove and install openshh again. I would assume there are no ssh issues with the verizon iPhone.

Make sure the iPhone is on the same WiFi network as your mac. Are you using little snitch and accidentally denied CyberDuck any network access?

Try in terminal just to see if you can establish a connection.

Open terminal

ssh root@192.168.2.1 (or whatever your IP is)

it might ask you to type "yes" due to unknown key.
Does that work?
there is nothing in preferences that would say that CD isn't getting network access, but I'm not sure what little snitch is. I've already tried it on two home networks already (mine and my sisters). Uninstalled and reinstalled openssh multiple times as well. Now I just get connection timed out on all 3, CD, Fugu, and Terminal.

Try using diskaid, it works well for me... I use an att iPhone 4...

I'll try it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.