SSH: Any chance of graphics working?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Sep 13, 2007.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I have SSH working for remotely accessing the computers at my university departments computer lab, which run Linux. Most of the information supplied by the department is with regards to windows, however I've found that most commands work the same on my Mac once I'm logged in.

One thing I can't get to work is graphics. The things I've been reading seem to indicate that I shouldn't need to do much in terms of manually setting things like graphics up, and that windows users have to do this setenv DISPLAY command in order for graphics to display. I had to do that as well, since my display is not set as the default display when I log in. That worked fine, I put in my ip address and then a colon and 0 (is that right? I'm told if I have only one screen that it should be 0, and that 1, 2, etc are for multiple monitors connected to my computer??) and when I check it, it shows as my IPaddress:0. However, graphics still won't work. Before I did the DISPLAY thing I was getting an immediate error. Something about xset or x11 or both... once I set my display it would wait a really long time where I thought maybe something was loading, but then I'd still get an error.

Is it possible to get graphics working using SSH in the terminal on my Mac? Does it sound possible to do it in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Gee, the last three posts or so no one has had any assistance whatsoever! Oh well, it's good that I'm persistent. If anyone is curious about the solution to this, you need X11 installed to get graphics working over SSH.

3. Sunnzy macrumors regular

Do you still have to do any setenv DISPLAY thing?

When I connect to my school's lab I don't need to, simply firing up X11's xterm does the job, so I think you may not even have to do setenv?

BTW since it is a Linux lab you are connecting to, wouldn't it make more sense to follow instructions for Linux? I mean, Linux and OS X are similar that they both share UNIX similarities.

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Even though both operating systems share similar UNIX underlinings, they are still two very different systems. Like Sunnzy said, it would make more sense to follow a Linux HOWTO.

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You need to have X11 forwarding turned on and the X11 server on the local machine running.

One way to check would be the DISPLAY variable (echo $DISPLAY), but its not something that's typically set. The university may not even allow it, but you should contact their IT department who could tell you.

6. Mumford macrumors regular

This is really two separate questions.

1) how do I use X remotely (long & moderately complicated answer I can give if absolutely necessary)
    2) how do I get ssh to do #1 automatically? ssh forwarding within X is probably disabled by default... otherwise it would just work and you wouldn't be posting here. Try using 'ssh -X' the next time you connect to one of the campus hosts and see if it makes a difference. Check the DISPLAY environment variable once you log in. If it's set, then it worked.