SSH/Battery Life Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AZYUMA86, Oct 19, 2007.

1. AZYUMA86 macrumors newbie

So I read about this: http://www.iphonealley.com/tips-and-tricks/regain-battery-life-after-installing-3rd-party-applications

And now I have a question. The only extra apps I want on my Touch are the missing iPhone apps. So what I originally did was add those and then delete the installer program. I've since restored my Touch back to default because I was worried that SSH may still be on and draining my battery. So here is my question: Can I jailbreak my Touch, then download this "services" app and turn off SSH then remove the installer program without having to worry about SSH automatically coming back on?

2. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Very interesting question. I will reply after I try it

3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

EDIT- Now I actually read your first post. ;)

You can try it. If you can still access the Services app after removing Installer, that would be idea. Services.app is very handy for also switching Wifi on and off.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

SSH only works when WiFi is on, so just turn it off in the Settings menu when your not using it.

5. Chris F macrumors regular

Ummmm, can someone explain how this will increase your battery life?

Unless my experience is failing me when the touch goes to sleep so will all the deamon processes until the hardware irq to wakeup is generated by a button press? Hence no extra CPU will be consumed outside of some trivial amount while the deamon is running normally and wifi is up?

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You're right, but when you're listening to music (or otherwise have the unit turned on) perhaps you will use less power with SSH off.

What I had read (and I have no idea whether this is true or not), is SSH polling is what hits the battery.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I use the Services App and it gives me a one-stop solution for switching on/off both WiFi and SSH...

8. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yes, if it is playing music it is not fully asleep(much like the reception bar issue iphone users are having.

use the services app if you can. i like turning wifi on and off there instead of hitting settings, wifi, off. plus i can manage ssh there too

9. aki macrumors 6502a

Sooooo just so this is all clear in my head...

SSH on and WiFi on both drain the battery faster. However

- if you turn off WiFi, SSH is also off (and so no fast drain)
    - if you sleep (vs turn off completely) the touch, there is no fast drain.

If that is true, can I also ask, do the various AFP demon apps also drain battery faster? And if so

- if you turn off WiFi, is the AFP demon also off (and so no fast drain) and
    - if you sleep the touch, AFP causes no fast drain?

Thanks for advice to the clueless!

10. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Just installed services app. It seems that Edge always defaults to on for the IPT. Obviously both Edge and Bluetooth are for the iphone. Does it matter what these are set to for the IPT? Is there anyway to get Edge to permanently be set to Off?

Thanks.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think so. But I doubt it matters, without the hardware actually running it should make absolutely no difference.

Wait, my iPod Touch is ringing- I think someone is calling me! ;)

12. dagored macrumors 65816

When I jailbroke my Touch, the following app was installed
    [​IMG]

I just open it and click off, when I am not SSHing into the Touch. Don't you have this in your apps?
    [​IMG]

13. till macrumors member

No. Just...no. Unless someone can empirically prove that the SSH daemon reduces battery life, let's squash this rumor now.

Any multi-tasking operating system that isn't completely broken incurs nearly zero CPU overhead from sleeping processes. An SSH daemon that's not doing anything is sleeping, waiting for a socket event. It "tells" the OS this by using an API like select(), and it will therefore not be given any CPU cycles until it's woken up by an appropriate incoming packet.

Clear? Unless there's some strange side-effect of running SSH on an iPod Touch, it's not doing jack to your battery life. It's just sitting there, taking up a tiny bit of RAM.