SSH Beginner - How to Use SSH Remote Login?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by John Doe 57, Jul 2, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

OK, I've got no real reason to use SSH, but I have 2 Macs running Leopard and I though this Remote Login thing would be kinda neat. How do I use it?

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

First you need to make sure the SSH daemon is running by enabling remote login via the System Preferences -> Sharing pane.

Are you using an SSH-compatible client (e.g. PuTTy on Windows; any typical terminal software on *nix)?

If you wanted, you could just open a terminal session on one of your Macs, and do a ssh <user>@<host-or-ip>. From there you will be prompted for a password, and if you successfully authenticate then that's it, you're in.

~Colin

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

4. stevejk macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I'm a Mac and a Linux newbie. My objective is to set up a SSH server on my Mac running Leopard and set up a secure tunnel from my Linux laptop -- to give my web browsing and emailing more security at a public wifi hotspot.

I followed the instructions on Lifehacker to set up the SSH server. I downloaded Putty to my Linux laptop because of the GUI.

However, it doesn't work. My Mac says I can connect to it using "ssh username@ipaddress" or "ssh -l username ipaddress". When I do that, it just sits there and does nothing until it times out. Ditto with Putty.

What am I missing? Thank you for your help.

5. sord macrumors 6502

Likely your home router isn't forwarding the SSH port (22) to your machine. Look into your router's configuration for port forwarding.

6. stevejk macrumors newbie

No, that wasn't it.

It turned out to be the firewall. I had tell the firewall to allow "Remote Login". Also, I learned that it is a SOCKS v5 proxy.

So now I have a SSH tunnel to my Mac at home and, with some reconfiguring of application configurations, I can browse wirelessly reasonably securely.

Now, if I can figure out how to install a VPN server on my Mac, I wouldn't have to reconfigure all my apps (browser, email, chat) depending on which network I'm on. If I can figure out how to install a PPTP server on my Mac, that would make life even easier! :)