ssh breaks in 10.6.1??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MilesParker, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MilesParker macrumors newbie

OK, I don't know what is going on here, but I'm pretty certain that something in 10.6.1 is causing ssh to timeout. I first started having an issue with my MBP last week, and thought that it was some kind of weird config issue. But it just started happening on Mac Pro as well. And I just upgraded to 10.6.1. And then I realized that the MBP troubles started when I installed 10.6.1 on that machine last week.

I'm just going right to a timeout. I can ping, etc..

Does anyone know of any changes in ssh beyond the official release notes? Any ideas about how I can track this down further?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not having any trouble sshing to or from a 10.6.1 box.
    I'd suggest that it's not 10.6 that is your issue but something else. Have you checked your firewall settings?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Using the v argument (or vvv for more) will give verbose messages when doing the connection and it may give some clues.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

agreed.
    Also:

netstat -an | grep *.22

Is something actually listening at port 22?

5. MilesParker thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys...yeah I know how to get verbose output, and I know that something is listening, and I doubt that this is broken for everyone using 10.6.1. Anything actually helpful to add? ;)

OK, can I take that partially back? ;) I should have mentioned that this was only happening with one domain. The fact that it's coincident with the update and the domain in question is one where a lot of people would be screaming if it weren't did lead me to one conclusion of many possible. But I can't actually get the port at all. Weirdly I got a new RSA sig this last time I went there, so I'm thinking that there is some sort of interaction there. But I need to get to a different machine now and find out wether the port is really down everywhere.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's unfair. How exactly would we know what level of competence you have from a single post?

8. MilesParker thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, sorry. It actually *hadn't* occurred to me that my subnet might have been blocked, which is exactly what had happened. Sometimes the simplest explanations...