Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonegeek786

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
I need to install SSH, but I have been told I need to download something before that, plus I need to do it without wifi. I have heard of disk aid, itunnel, and winscp. And something about dottie? First of all how do I set SSH on my iphone and computer. Sorry! I have also looked at all the youtube vids and everything says something different.:eek:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I need to install SSH, but I have been told I need to download something before that, plus I need to do it without wifi. I have heard of disk aid, itunnel, and winscp. And something about dottie? First of all how do I set SSH on my iphone and computer. Sorry! I have also looked at all the youtube vids and everything says something different.:eek:

If you need to SSH into your phone, you will need to install:

On your phone: OpenSSH

On your computer: an SSH client. There are tons of them, so you can just find the one with the best recommendation. If you have a Mac, you can just use the built in Terminal app.

As soon as you have installed OpenSSH, be sure to change your root password and mobile password using the following commands:

1. su root When prompted to enter your password type 'alpine'. (without quotation marks).

2. passwd When prompted, enter your new password twice.

3. passwd mobile When prompted, enter your new password twice.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
If you need to SSH into your phone, you will need to install:

On your phone: OpenSSH

On your computer: an SSH client. There are tons of them, so you can just find the one with the best recommendation. If you have a Mac, you can just use the built in Terminal app.

As soon as you have installed OpenSSH, be sure to change your root password and mobile password using the following commands:

1. su root When prompted to enter your password type 'alpine'. (without quotation marks).

2. passwd When prompted, enter your new password twice.

3. passwd mobile When prompted, enter your new password twice.

The OP doesn't have Wifi so you have to SSH over USB.

If all you want is to be able to copy and paste around files then use iFunbox on a Windows computer or DiskAid on a Mac... Otherwise follow what is below.

I'm assuming you are on windows because all the macs now have Wifi built in.

You will need to download iTunnel as well as Putty to SSH into your phone and change the passwords.

I posted a .zip with all the required files somewhere on these forums.
Found it! https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805692/

There you go. You can use that to get command line access and then change the passwords that you need to change. Then if you wan to move files around get WinSCP and then use that instead of Putty. :D

iphonegeek786

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Do I need to change both passwords, because I saw most people change one. Also I heard you have to install BSD sytems? I have downloaded putty, winscp, and itunnel. But I have absolutely NO CLUE what to do lol. Srry. Also In the Itunnel file there is Itunnel, but there is also some other files what are those.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Do I need to change both passwords, because I saw most people change one. Also I heard you have to install BSD sytems? I have downloaded putty, winscp, and itunnel. But I have absolutely NO CLUE what to do lol. Srry. Also In the Itunnel file there is Itunnel, but there is also some other files what are those.

Yes, you need all those files. Yes you need to change both passwords.

The other files are files required to get iTunnel to work. The .bat files are shortcuts to run iTunnel instead of you having to learn how to use it via command line. :D

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009

Perhaps time to get out Google and do some research ?

Thats's how we learned to do these things !

(Step up on soap box)

If one makes an effort to learn and attempt it and runs into an issue, that's the time to seek help.

Seems posters are getting annoyed at spoon feeding !

Just my 2 cents worth.

(Step off soap box)

Good Luck !

iphonegeek786

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Right now I want it for adding themes, but seems I'm getting too advanced, can someone just explain it to me. I have been told its a must. Please dont yell.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Right now I want it for adding themes, but seems I'm getting too advanced, can someone just explain it to me. I have been told its a must. Please dont yell.

Why don't you just start with themes available in Cydia? Maybe add the ModMyi repo or something. Cydia has a nice GUI and lets you install hundreds of themes. You can then choose between them in Winterboard. No need to play around with SSH, especially if you don't already have significant experience at a posix command prompt.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

No, you don't need SSH to add themes. You just need Cydia or Rock app, which you install during the jailbreak process.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Also, why bother with the pain the the butt SSH anyway if all you want to do is throw some files back and forth. Iphone Explorer via USB is free, easy, secure and faster...

ckong

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
can you install themes with this program?

The very short answer to your question is yes...you can install themes via SSH.

You are obviously trying to learn your iPhone better. Let me clarify some things if they haven't been already.

The Cydia app "SSH" is a package that allows you to remotely Terminal access your iPhone through its IP address. "SSH" installs itself as a Service that runs in the background on the phone.

The Cydia app "MobileTerminal" is an App that provides you local access to your iPhone. (Same access as SSH...just locally done instead of remotely.)

Two user accounts are on the iPhone by default. These are "root" and "mobile", and both have the password "alpine". SSH will ask you for a username and password. MobileTerminal will automatically log you in as "mobile" for you.

(Note: Because the "root" and "mobile" passwords of "alpine" are well known, you need to change them right away to something else if you haven't already. Use either SSH or use MobileTerminal to get into the phone. There are multiple tutorials on the internet telling you how to use the "passwd" program to change passwords.)

Once you access your iPhone through SSH or MobileTerminal, you will be placed into a text-based CLI or "command line interface". The name of the CLI is "bash". (You can find this by typing "sh --version" at the command prompt.

When logged in as "root" at the CLI, you should have unrestricted access to you phone. You can rename files, delete whole directories at time, change the files owner, etc, etc. I highly recommend you google "basic linux commands" to learn more. (For example: http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basic.shtml looks like a good start.)

You can do great damage to your phone (up to the point of possibly bricking it) so be very careful what you type. When in doubt, look up the command on google (or similar) before typing it. Once you get good at the CLI, you'll be able to do cool things like directly install beta software, and modify Winterboard themes at will (or make your own).

Terms for you to google/research:
"basic linux commands"
"bash"
"apt-get"
"dpkg"

One other thing... I encourage you to install SBSettings if you haven't already. SBSettings as a "SSH Toggle" so you can shut down the background SSH process when you aren't using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.