SSH errors

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Hello, all. I'm attempting to SSH into my iPhone 4 using WinSCP.

I enable wifi on my phone, open WinSCP on my PC. Under 'host' I'm typing the wifi IP address as it appears under setting / SBSettings on my phone.

Under 'User Name' I'm typing 'root', and under password, I'm typing the password that I selected using mobile terminal to change the password from alpine.

I continually get a time-out (most frequently) or an error message stating that the host does not exist (happened once). As near as I can tell, I've followed several online write-ups to the letter.

My only thought is that my connection goes from the wall to my PC, then to a router (which my iPhone picks up Wifi signal from). The network is secured w/ a WEP key. Any thoughts as to why I'm unable to connect?

Thanks in advance!

2. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Just checking... you have installed OpenSSH on the iPhone haven't you?

3. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I have! Sorry, should have stated that in the original post!

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

ZCherub,

When someone says they are "attempting to ssh into my iPhone 4", that is generally accepted to mean an ssh terminal session. "SSH" stands for "Secure Shell". WinSCP uses SFTP which is the "SSH File Transfer Protocol".

It would be more clear if you said that you were "attempting to sftp into my iPhone 4".

Anyway, can you ssh in using a terminal program? PuTTY is a free one you could use:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

S-

5. tesilential macrumors regular

When I get that error, it is due to the devices being on different wifi networks.

Check both the phone and computer to make sure they are on the same wifi.

If you are typing in your IP address and password correctly, and you are on the same wifi network with both devices, then you are doing everything right as far as I know.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

+1 to this. Depending on how your router is set up, it might put the WiFi clients and the wired clients on different IP subnets. They need to be on the same network (you should be able to type 'ping iphone_ip' from the Terminal on Mac or from the Start-Run menu on Windows)

To the OP, rereading how your network is set up, which looks to be quite screwy, it looks like you won't be able to do it in your current setup. You would have to go from the wall to the cable/dsl modem to a router, which hooks to the wired clients and the wireless clients.

It looks like your PC is exposed directly to the Internet, then you use Internet Sharing or some other feature to share that connection with the router. The router then dishes out a connection to the iPhone. This set up is bad for many reasons, and means you won't be able to connect via SSH because your PC and your iPhone will be on completely different networks.

7. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

There are also alternatives to SSH, programs (most cost) but do the same like Diskaid but require a physical connection and might be a better option if you keep having the same issue.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

iPhoneExplorer and PhoneDisk do the same as Diskaid for Free...just an FYI

9. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

oh, was unaware of those, cool thanks, coulda saved 10 bucks on my end......:(

10. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks to Sidewinder and Ulbador! I'll investigate the actual network/connection more thoroughly this evening to see if I can resolve that issue. I appreciate the insight - and hopefully that'll clear it up.

Jmclain & maturola - thanks for the alternatives as well, I'll look into those.