SSH For Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Amblinman, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

Anyone know of a good, reliable SSH for Mac?

Also, is there a means to access a Windows server remotely with my Mac?

Thanks for any help, you guys have been fantastic and it's gone a long ways towards making my transition from a PC go pretty smoothly. :)

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

What's wrong with /usr/bin/ssh ?

Edit: Forgot to add: Regarding accessing a windows machine you can use Remote Desktop Connection, the 2.0 beta is pretty decent.

3. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

What is "/usr/bin/ssh?" IT folks normally install this stuff for me, but I'm pretty much on my own with my Mac.

I'll try the second link you provide, thanks.

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

SSH server and client are installed by default in Mac OS X. Nothing to setup.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Just incase you still can't find it. Open Terminal.app. Type 'ssh' (without quotes). Up will pop the quick help list of commands. If you need more help you can type 'man ssh' (again without quotes).

6. fletchnj macrumors newbie

7. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The best thing about moving from a PC to a Mac is that OS X is a flavor of UNIX, so among other things you have a powerful command line interface at your disposal, quite unlike Windows.

Just use ssh from the terminal. Once you get accustomed to how much quicker and more efficient working from the terminal can be, you won't miss any clunky Windows-style GUI.

8. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked at the terminal and unfortunately it just doesn't look all that user friendly to me. It seems I'm one of those unfortunate types that *needs* a dumbass Windows-like interface to do ssh. I've downloaded a trial version of RBBrowser, which looks like it may fit the bill.

9. dec0de macrumors newbie

dec0de

From my own past personal experience, the only way to stop from needing a gui app is just to make the commitment to learn something new. Once you decide to learn it there are enough resources online to help you through the process. Trust me its worth learning to use the terminal.