Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookieme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Hey

I have a question regarding running windows using VMware Fusion on my mac. Basically, I can ssh into my VM using the Terminal on my mac. However, when I try and run a windows program from the terminal it doesn't work. I don't get an error message and I can see that the program is listed under windows as a process, but nothing happens.

I understand that I will not get a GUI in terminal, but all I want to do is run this windows program in batch mode. It works fine from the command prompt in windows and also from a cygwin prompt on windows, but from Terminal on my mac it starts the process, but doesn't run.

Is there some limitation of trying to run a windows program like this?

Thanks

cookieme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Its an app with a GUI?
Are you expecting it to display on the Mac or within the VM?

Hey yellow,

I am not really expecting any display on either the mac or within the VM. The program is running in batch mode, so it will simply read in a file and then output a file. The command looks like this:

Code:
ansys110 -b -i input file -o output file

As soon as the command is run within windows (VM) a command prompt is opened and then closed and the resulting file is available to read.

I would think that this was possible from the Terminal on my mac, if I can do it within the VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.