SSH Help - iPhone and Computer Showing 2 Diffrent IP Addresses

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by analytical44, Nov 7, 2008.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

What's up all? I had been SSHing into my phone with no problems for the last few months but suddenly my router stopped working and needed to be reset. After the reset, I am now no longer able to SSH into my phone. I checked out the IP address on the phone and its xxx.xxx.x.104. I then opened up a command box on my computer (Windows XP), typed in "ipconfig" and it showed my IP address as xxx.xxx.x.101. I then opened up my router's configuration page and it says my starting IP address is xxx.xxx.x.100 (what is a starting address?).

Before I reset my router, my iPhone and my computer were showing the same IP address (I believe the router was as well but I'm not positive). Does anyone know why that has changed or know what I can do to fix it? Thank you much.

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Two things:

1. Remove the IP numbers from your post!

2. Your iPhone is probably connected to a different network. Every now and then, I can't get my iPhone to see my home connection (the router is up stairs, and around a corner). What I do to get around that, is create an ad-hoc network, and do my SSH with that connection.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I think you may have confused the router ip with your dhcp ip. Every wireless device connected to a network has to have it's own ip address. The router ip would remain the same but not the ip assaigned to each device.

Try to ssh it via terminal. "ssh root@(dhcp ip here not router ip) then alpine as you know. See if it generates new keys for access.

4. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

The Confuzed - oops, yea prolly not a good idea, thanks :eek: However, I am connected to the right network.

Lavrishevo- I really don't know anything about terminal or where I would input the information you offered. I'm not too familiar with IP addresses so there is certainly a large possibility that I am confused. Looking at the setup page for my router, the Starting IP Address that I provided is contained under the DHCP Server section so I think you're right. If you don't mind, could you provide some more clarification? Sorry if I'm being a super noob, just don't quite get what you're saying. Thanks again

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I see what you're doing...

You're comparing the IP address of your computer to the IP address of your iPhone!

That is the wrong thing. :)

Make sure that you're connected with both devices, to the same network (by name).

Now, go to the Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone.

Find the network, look for the arrow on the right, and click on that.

This is the IP that you need for SSH to work correctly.

6. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, is it? Told you imma noob when it comes to IP addresses. However, that is (using the IP address shown on the iPhone) what first I tried to do and it did not work. Just tried it again to confirm and am getting the "Network error: connection timed out" pop up. Definitely on the same network.

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Your reception may not be good enough to esatablish a reliable connection.

Try creating an ad-hoc network, and connect to that... Do you now how to do that?

If you're on a Mac, go to the Wi-Fi icon, on your menu bar, and "Create Netwok." I'm not sure how to do it on a PC, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

8. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Nah, I don't think its an issue with reception, before I had to reset my router I had no problems what so ever. Also, both my phone and computer are moving along pretty well on the wireless connection. Does creating an ad-hoc network only address the reception issue?

Also, I just tried to open my SCP client and SSH again and this time instead of "connection timed out", I got "connection refused". Not sure if that means anything. Really appreciate the help

9. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got it after unplugging and restarting the modem, router, iphone and computer. Thanks again for your suggestions

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Well then, I guess we'll never know what happened. At least it's working now, and you also know how to fix it, if it ever happens again.

11. Erwan macrumors member

OHZ NOEZ HIDE THOSE PRIVATE IPS!!!11111!!!!!111!!one!!!!11 :p

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I've found that a little paranoia never hurt anyone, but in some cases, a little less has. ;)