Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blindmisfits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Hello,
I am trying to be able to ssh into my sisters mac book pro from within my home network i have enabled it and when i try and log in i get promoted for a password there is no password, I've even asked her if there was a password and I've even set enable empty password in /etc/sshd_config and i still get nothing. if any one has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

Blindmisfits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Id like to avoid using keys and that pain and also i had her make a password and i got nothing out of it it still wouldn't let me log in thought i could login as a localhost on her machine.

Think this is a OS conflict between elitism and the rest of the computing world?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Id like to avoid using keys and that pain and also i had her make a password and i got nothing out of it it still wouldn't let me log in thought i could login as a localhost on her machine.

Think this is a OS conflict between elitism and the rest of the computing world?

Are you sure you are typing it correctly? Terminal does not echo stars or whatever when you type passwords for security reasons, so you just have to do it blind as it were.

Make sure the firewall is not blocking the connection.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
what is the ssh command you use to connect. Don't forget that you must specify the user (your sister's account) to login. If your sister login is "sister", you have to type

Code:
ssh sister@mac-ip

if you dont specify the "sister", you will implicitly login with your login.

Blindmisfits

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
... thank you for your help, i had everything except i did not think to check to make sure i had her computers names case correct

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.