Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hey guys just trying to remote into my laptop using SSH. ive been reading about it a bit and i am not going to subscribe to permanent dhcp ip addresses and all that. it costs to much. ill just leave my modem on which makes it have the same ip.

uumm so in regards to the service is there any gui versions for mac&pc that will just allow me to put in the information? or will i have to install ssh on the other computer? any/all hints on how to do this would be appreciated haha.

thanks dudes/dudettes

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/

Do you want to tunnel into your mac from a pc, or from another mac? If you're on a PC, Putty is a pretty good ssh client. For your Mac, I'd just type the commands in terminal.

You will still need to know the external IP address for your router, and open the appropriate ports to get to your laptop on the other side of the router. There are plenty of free dynamic DNS server services which you could subscribe to, making the process much easier.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/

Do you want to tunnel into your mac from a pc, or from another mac? If you're on a PC, Putty is a pretty good ssh client. For your Mac, I'd just type the commands in terminal.

You will still need to know the external IP address for your router, and open the appropriate ports to get to your laptop on the other side of the router. There are plenty of free dynamic DNS server services which you could subscribe to, making the process much easier.

i was gonna do both, from mac and pc. its easy to figure out the external IP so im sweet there, does it use port 22?? something about that number sounds familiar lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.