SSH into laptop from outside!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DoFoT9, Jun 17, 2007.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey guys just trying to remote into my laptop using SSH. ive been reading about it a bit and i am not going to subscribe to permanent dhcp ip addresses and all that. it costs to much. ill just leave my modem on which makes it have the same ip.

uumm so in regards to the service is there any gui versions for mac&pc that will just allow me to put in the information? or will i have to install ssh on the other computer? any/all hints on how to do this would be appreciated haha.

thanks dudes/dudettes

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/21/how-to-ssh-tunnels-for-secure-network-access/

Do you want to tunnel into your mac from a pc, or from another mac? If you're on a PC, Putty is a pretty good ssh client. For your Mac, I'd just type the commands in terminal.

You will still need to know the external IP address for your router, and open the appropriate ports to get to your laptop on the other side of the router. There are plenty of free dynamic DNS server services which you could subscribe to, making the process much easier.

3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was gonna do both, from mac and pc. its easy to figure out the external IP so im sweet there, does it use port 22?? something about that number sounds familiar lol