SSH Jailbreak security

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DerekRod, Mar 8, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Can someone hack into/SSH into my iPhone without openssh installed?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

nope

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but physical access is needed first and SSH does not have to be used when physical access is obtained.

4. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Okay so if that person didn't have my phone they can't get into it there'd be no way.Is there anyway to prevent unauthorized access to my phone?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't let it leave your site. Also keep your iOS firmware up to date. A skilled hacker could use a vulnerability to get into your system. Examples of such a vulnerability include the jailbreakme jailbreaks.

6. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Have a passcode set, and set it to wipe the phone after 10 failed login attempts. With a passcode set you can only access the phone from a computer that has previously accessed it, on any newer computer you need to give the passcode. A very skilled hacker can probably get in through DFU mode, but ordinary mortals cannot - and no available tool will bypass it, as far as I know.

----------

Oh, and SSH is pretty safe, as long as you remember to set roots password and mobiles password. But remember, if you restore and rejailbreak the phone, they are both set back to "alpine", even if you read in from backup. :(

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

8. jailwut wunnow macrumors member

If you're on the same wifi network and you haven't changed the SSH password from alpine, then yes someone could easily SSH into your phone. They have to figure out what your current ip on that netwrok would be, but I'm sure it wouldn't take long to discover it. One of the first things I do after a jailbreak and installing OpenSSh is change the root and mobile passwords.

There are plenty of tut's on how to do it using mobile terminal or terminal on your mac. (I've never done it with a pc.)

9. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

my iPhone doesn't have OpenSSH installed so SSH-ing into my phone isn't possible?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you don't have it installed, then they can't get into your phone via a network.

11. jailwut wunnow macrumors member

I misread "without" as "with openssh".

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Just leave your phone bricked at all times. "Unbrick" it (whatever the hell that means - ask the thousands on here who have done it) when you need to use it.

Mmm bricks.....

13. h4zhCr4k3r macrumors newbie

14. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Excellent thanks man