SSH on the iPone (would it be feesable)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MadGoat, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

So, my question is simple. would it be possible to have an SSH app for the iphone and reliably use it on a cell network without losing your connection as you jump between towers(3g and EDGE)?

For example on a bus commute to work.

Maybe there's already a jailbroken iphone that has such an app, I'd love to hear of your experience.

2. pintnight macrumors 6502

No SSH on iPhone 2.0, Apple will not allow that to happen.

Your only option is to jailbreak your iPhone to use SSH (which you can right now).

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Definitely not in AppStore.

Applications can only work within their own directory (sandbox). The only times they can go out is when calling API functions like utilizing the camera, contacts list, etc.

4. MadGoat thread starter macrumors 65816

MadGoat

So does this also mean we won't see a messenger app of any sort as well? or if we will see a messenger app, what's the difference then between it opening a socket and an ssh app opening a socket?

5. The General macrumors 601

Okay let's just disregard the last two replies and break this down.

SSH server on the iPhone:
    • Allows you to SSH into your iPhone from another computer.
    • Apple will certainly not allow this in the AppStore.
    • Jailbreaking your phone can already make this possible, but it works very unreliably over EDGE.

SSH client on the iPhone:
    • Allows you to SSH into another computer from your iPhone.
    • Something like PuTTY wouldn't break any SDK rules, so Apple should allow it in the AppStore.
    • Jailbreaking your phone can make this possible, but it works very unreliably over EDGE.

I have no idea how well these services would work over 3G.

6. MadGoat thread starter macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I guess I should have been clear on that, I was indeed referring to an SSH client like putty so that I can work on some servers while out and away from wi-fi.

7. firewood macrumors 604

SSH into an iPhone server, probably not; the SDK apps are sandboxed. But SSH out of a GSM phone is already pretty common, I've been SSHing out from a GSM Palm Treo when on the road for years. There doesn't seem to be anything in the iPhone SDK license that prohibits outgoing client networking. In fact, there's example code on Apple's developer web site which does such.

8. The General macrumors 601

Aww, I reformatted my post after you quoted me. :(

9. operator207 macrumors 6502

I do not see why an SSH client would not be feasible. In fact, I would see it as a deal breaker for some business models. My last job's phone decision was made because the Blackberry could do SSH and telnet with a 3rd party app.

If they want to go for a business model, you will need to have the phone do SSH Telnet RDP and VNC. Not natively, with 3rd party apps is fine. Also having a "shell" on the iphone is possible too. All the users on my server are jailed to their home directory. They can only access binaries that I give them access to. These binaries could exist in a binary directory in the shell's home directory. That would sandbox the shell. I am simplifying this of course, more would be needed, but thats the basics.

10. reboad macrumors member

Iphone just has to have an SSH client!

I use ssh all the time, with my phone and computer. I have bought a shell from a server to run my irssi, an irc client, which stays on without me having to shut it down even if I shutdown my computer. And it's accessible from anywhere with an ssh client, which is really useful. A smartphone like iphone without ssh.. that'd be awful.

Messenger and other < IRC

:)