Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Hello,
I want to ssh into my iPhone, but I have a wifi problem. When I create an ad hoc network on my laptop and use it to connect to my phone, I get disconnected often. I went into settings and watched my wifi and like every 30 seconds or so I get disconnected? I am right in front of my computer? I had the same problem with a couple of other phones, I currently have a 3gs. My question is, is it safe to ssh with this problem? I just don't want to skrew anything up? But I would really like to ssh, I am fooling around with lockinfo and wanted to drop some files into my themes folder. Any help would be appreciated. One thing if I am using cyberduck on a mac does that use wifi or do you connect with USB? Haven't sshe'd in awhile that is why I ask.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Cyberduck (or any FTP client) works over WiFi, not USB.
You could use iPhone Explorer over USB to put an end to your WiFi troubles. ;)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
If it's because your phone is going asleep and turning off wifi, get Insomnia, but I doubt this is it because you said you watched it get disconnected, which makes me think it's still awake and you were looking at it. Also it happened with other phones.

Here's what you do.

When you SSH in the first thing you need to do is create a session that will persist if your connection drops.

Code:
screen
This will create a session that will stay running after you break your connection. If your connection drops, reconnect and type
Code:
screen -D -r
And you will be right where you left off.

This may not be on the iPhone and you may have to find it somewhere, but it's worth a try.

screen is also useful if you want to run a lengthy command over ssh somewhere but don't want to stay connected. Or if you want mulitple command lines on one SSH session. You can do multiple screens. I've used it to burn DVD's using my iPhone remoted into my desktop. I created a screen, started it burning and detached. I came back later and reattached to the screen and saw it was done.

More tutorials about screen are online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.