SSH setup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mastermind6192, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

i am trying to setup my ssh using dyndns via terminal and i can't get it to connect. i have tried entering ssh myusername@myserver and it just errors out. so how do i set ssh up the right way??:confused:

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

You'll have to be more specific. It's unclear what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

3. mastermind6192 thread starter macrumors member

mastermind6192

i am trying to set up a secure proxy with a dns server using ssh

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I know what all those words mean individually but you're not making any sense when you throw them all together like that.

What are you trying to Do? What does "just errors out" mean? What role does dyndns play in what you're trying to do? proxy between what and what? None of this is obvious to anyone but you.

Nobody is going to be able to help you if you can't describe your problem. And if you make us all work for it, nobody's going to want to help you either.

5. mastermind6192 thread starter macrumors member

mastermind6192

i am trying to set up a secure web tunnel and when i try to enter in ssh username@server.websitewelcome.com for example in terminal it just says the operation has timed out

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

That sounds like the remote server just isn't running the ssh service, or they have it firewalled and you cannot use it. Are you sure you're supposed to be able to ssh to that host? Is that your server or is it someone else's server?

Are you aware that simply ssh'ing to another machine does not establish a "secure proxy" or "secure web tunnel"? ssh can do that, crudely, but it doesn't really sound to me like you fully grasp what you want to do, much less how to do it.

What role does dyndns play in the scenario? You mentioned that in your first post and it certainly could be a factor.

7. mastermind6192 thread starter macrumors member

mastermind6192

that isn't my server, i was just using that as an example of how i entered it in terminal. i am using dydns as my ssh server. i am trying to connect to my ssh server that i set up in order to make my traffic secure. i just remember i turned remote login off so now after entering my server info in terminal i get this the authunticity of servernamehere can't be established than rsa fingerprint, followed by a long string than are you sure you want to connect

8. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say "my ssh server." You do mean some other computer someplace else in the world and not right in front of you, right? You're trying to ssh from a Mac that you are sitting at, and connect to a machine that's someplace out in the world, right?

I hope you're not saying that you have dyndns service that gives you a hostname.dyndns.org which points back to your local mac, and you want to ssh from your local mac TO your local mac, but using the dyndns hostname?

If that's what you're doing, don't bother. It won't accomplish a thing.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

1. Make sure you have "Remote Login" enabled in your Sharing PrefPane.
    2. If you're behind a router, make sure you're forwarding port 22 to your Mac

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Darth.Titan got it right. You need forward port 22 to your Mac.

If you aren't sure how to do that, this site will show you how to configure port forwards for various routers: http://portforward.com/

11. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm not sure it's helpful in this case, though. I'm pretty sure that the original poster is trying to ssh from their local machine to their local machine under the misguided notion that this will make their web browsing more secure. While the suggestion will enable the ssh to complete, there's not much point to it at all.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Maybe. I don't think you should take the users inability to state what they are doing as evidence of confusion about what they want.

Giving them the right info to complete their goal is what we should do. They will have go determine if it is what they want.

13. mastermind6192 thread starter macrumors member

mastermind6192

i know what i want to to just not how to fully explain it. i am trying to make my internet connection secure so i found a free dynamic dns hosting service that gives me a domain name and supports ssh. essentially i have the tools to fully set up secure internet but i can't figure out how to properly implement it

p.s- if it this is of help this site i previously mentioned has gave me a domain name and login credentials.

14. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Based on this information then the advice given elsewhere in this thread is not relevant to your situation. Your inability to ssh in to the service provider's server is unlikely to be caused by anything on your end. Enabling the "Remote Login" on to your personal computer and/or forwarding inbound ssh in your router won't fix your problem sshing out to the service provider's server. It sounds like you should just contact your service provider and ask them for help debugging why their server isn't working.

I still don't understand how you expect ssh will create a "secure internet," for you though. I also harbor suspicion that your service provider (is it actually dyndns? again, your efforts to be vague make it virtually impossible to help you) is not offering a server for you to ssh in to. If you are talking about dyndns, when they say they "support ssh" they mean that using dyndns you will be able to ssh to your personal computer when you are away from home and using some other person's computer. That's accurate, but it doesn't sound like what you're expecting.

15. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I don't think his goal is to ssh from his computer to his computer (the same machine). There's not much point to that, right? It certainly doesn't make his internet connection secure and he's been clear on that goal.

16. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

SSH has pretty much NOTHING to do with internet, besides the fact you need internet to use it...

Do you mean VPN?

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well until the recent post I don't think it was clear what the OP intended.

While it may not be clear to you, the technique does make sense and many do indeed use this to tunnel their web traffic through ssh. Although, this is typically done from a remote computer.

For example, tunneling the web traffic on your laptop through a desktop at home to 1) secure your information on an insecure network or 2) bypass restrictions on the local network.

This seems to be what the OP intends and it is possible and does make sense. The step the OP is missing is the binding of the local web port to the remote SSH server. And finally setting up the browser to use the tunnel. (A port forward as well).

Here is an example: http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/weblogs/azul/firefox-ssh-tunnel

So it isn't incorrect and of course setting up a forward is a part of that process.

So, yes the OPs goal can be achieved.

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I agree that it's difficult to discern the situation from the OP's text, but I'm 99% certain that there is no remote server in his situation. He's just got a dyndns alias that points right back to himself, and he's unknowingly ssh'ing to his own local box thinking it's some server that dyndns is providing to him.

What he's said so far supports this interpretation, given that his ssh to "the server" started working once he enabled remote login on his local machine.

This is a guy with a single machine who thinks that ssh will somehow protect his web traffic if he connects via ssh (effectively) from localhost to localhost.

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I think it would best if the OP tells us where they got this idea.

But I do agree that the local only setup would be useless. I don't think we can rule out a remote use as the intended goal. But you are probably right.