Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I'm not a big fan of terminal so i need a GUI

I'm currently using text wrangler as its free. The SFTP is rather limiting I.E. you can't download folders with drag and drop. So i would need something like filezilla

I came across macfuse but it hasn't been updated for 3 years but integration into finder is a nice idea.

So i wondered what do you guys do to ssh into servers to download files/folders and how do you edit your files?

Thanks

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I'm not a big fan of terminal so i need a GUI

I'm currently using text wrangler as its free. The SFTP is rather limiting I.E. you can't download folders with drag and drop. So i would need something like filezilla

I came across macfuse but it hasn't been updated for 3 years but integration into finder is a nice idea.

So i wondered what do you guys do to ssh into servers to download files/folders and how do you edit your files?

Thanks

Cyberduck. I've been using it for years. It's donationware and nags you but it's free to use. I haven't tried it since upgrading to Lion so there is a slight chance it won't work. There are others as well but they cost money. One thing I like about cyberduck is I can put a bunch of files on the clipboard in finder and paste them in cyberduck and it uploads them to the current directory on the remote server. Nice.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Well for sftp I'm still using Fugu. It works well for me, though it hasn't been updated in a while. It also supports drag and drop like you want.

Personally when I'm editing a file or code on a remote system I always use ssh and edit the file on the system or scp it to my system, but Fugu does have the option of while connected to a server via sftp, you can click edit, and it will instantly download the file, and launch an external editor, like your textwrangler, or bbedit, subethaedit, vi, etc..(just make sure to set your external editor in the preferences) Personally I don't do this as like I said I just use terminal, but it is an option in there if that is what you want to do.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks guys

Currently setting up cyberduck as heard it mentioned a few times now, just need java.

I still have text wrangler but i think it's time i learn VIM as it does seem very powerful and of course is available regardless of the OS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.