Ssh through Usb

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tejen Naidoo, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Tejen Naidoo macrumors member

I finally found a way to ssh using my usb cable.All you need to do is download iPhone tunnel suite 2.7 this is for PC users only i do not know if there is a mac version out yet.Fire up the program configur a few settings them your Gud to go its very simple to use.I found this very useful cos i do not hav wifi at home i mostly use the wifi connection at campus so it gets kinda hard wen i need to ssh while i am at home but its not a problem any more thanks to this lil application.Many thanks to the developer.The web site is http://www.makkiaweb.net/ .Let me know if this helped you guys.

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I have been looking for this since last September, almost thirteen months ago. If this works, hugs all around.

3. brightshadow360 macrumors member

how is ssh and programes like iphonebrowser different then? I thought the only diference was that one is wireless. doesn't ssh mean browsing the system files, or does it do more than that?

4. Tejen Naidoo thread starter macrumors member

the difference is that with iPhone Tunnel you can change file permissions where as with normal file browsing programs you can't so it a bit pointless being able to upload your apps and not be able to run cos you can't change the permissions on them but iPhone tunnel fixes this problem.

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I haven't been hacking/modding my iPod touch in months, so I may be a bit out of touch (no pun intended). But what if you use something like iPhone browser to upload the files, then use something like mobile finder on the iPod touch to change permissions? Though I admit, that is quite tedious.

6. brightshadow360 macrumors member

your able to edit permisions in mobile finder? how?

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

8. Strategy macrumors member

This only works on jailbroken ipods right? This wont work to replace the MobileInstallation file on the 2g?

9. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

oh okay. Yeah, i would guess the iPod would have to be jailbroken (when I had my iPod touch, any iPod with an app would have to jailbroken - i forgot about the appstore now:eek:). Never mind what I said then.

10. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Is there any way to get winscp to open up in english mode? It opened up in italian I think and I'm not sure how to change it back.

11. Tejen Naidoo thread starter macrumors member

i think you need to download the english version or if you using iphone tunnel then uninstall and re-install it.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes only jailbroken ipods will work, you have to manually upload the mobileinstallation file, set permissions and reboot this does not do it for you.

see my attached image for help