Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I recently downloaded winterboard from cydia, I am wondering how to change my iphone. I see on the forums where people have altered the look of there iPhones. Like the thread post springboard/winterboard screenshots, I think that is the name of the thread. I want to change my dock, I want my wallpaper to remain black. I need help to change my dock, I have heard of using ssh and of getting themes from cydia. I also wouldn't mind changing my unlock screen. Any help would be appreciated.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
From Cydia Download any theme, as well as OpenSSH.

If you're on a Mac, use Cyberduck(I think?) to SSH (Have to be on Wi-FI). If you're on a PC, download WinSCP.

Enter in your IP address of your iPhone (while on Wi-Fi) into the SSH program on your computer. Root as Username, Alpine as password. Navigate to Var/Private/Stash/Themes.XXXX (the XXXX changes with your firmware I think).
then open the folder that you installed from Cydia, take out the Icon set, and delete the Walpaper.png file. Copy/Paste the dock.png file onto your desktop or somewhere on your computer. Edit it with photoshop to make it however you want. Put it back in place of the other dock.png (IT HAS TO BE NAMED Dock.png, just like the Orignal)

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
From Cydia Download any theme, as well as OpenSSH.

If you're on a Mac, use Cyberduck(I think?) to SSH (Have to be on Wi-FI). If you're on a PC, download WinSCP.

Enter in your IP address of your iPhone (while on Wi-Fi) into the SSH program on your computer. Root as Username, Alpine as password. Navigate to Var/Private/Stash/Themes.XXXX (the XXXX changes with your firmware I think).
then open the folder that you installed from Cydia, take out the Icon set, and delete the Walpaper.png file. Copy/Paste the dock.png file onto your desktop or somewhere on your computer. Edit it with photoshop to make it however you want. Put it back in place of the other dock.png (IT HAS TO BE NAMED Dock.png, just like the Orignal)

this worked very well. there should be a stick on this!

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
when you say copy/paste. Do i highlight dock.png go to edit and then copy click on the desktop and choose paste? and then remove old dock.png and replace with the one i got when i downloaded a theme from cydia? Is that lowercase 'd' or uppercase or will i be able to tell when i SSH? can I keep the old dock.png, in case i want to change back? Do I remove the icon set and delete the wallpaper.png, because i want to keep my background of my springboard black? And when you say remove the icon set and delete the Wallpaper.png can i keep these on my computer in case i would want to use them? Also what about the lockscreen can i remove that from the theme i downloaded from cydia too, if i don't like it?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
when you say copy/paste. Do i highlight dock.png go to edit and then copy click on the desktop and choose paste? and then remove old dock.png and replace with the one i got when i downloaded a theme from cydia? Is that lowercase 'd' or uppercase or will i be able to tell when i SSH? can I keep the old dock.png, in case i want to change back? Do I remove the icon set and delete the wallpaper.png, because i want to keep my background of my springboard black? And when you say remove the icon set and delete the Wallpaper.png can i keep these on my computer in case i would want to use them? Also what about the lockscreen can i remove that from the theme i downloaded from cydia too, if i don't like it?

you can just drag and drop. Its very simple and intuitive once u try it. you can keep stuff in a folder for l8er and if you want to go back to the default look of the theme just reinstall

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I navigated to private/var/stash/themes and found a file called Dock.png it was under a folder called Transparent Dock.theme. Don't know if this is the file I want to change? I don't know if this file is a file that I downloaded from cydia?I downloaded iGlossol, I navigated to private/var/stash/themes and found a folder called iGlossol but couldn't find Dock.png, any help would be appreciated.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I navigated to private/var/stash/themes and found a file called Dock.png it was under a folder called Transparent Dock.theme. Don't know if this is the file I want to change? I don't know if this file is a file that I downloaded from cydia?I downloaded iGlossol, I navigated to private/var/stash/themes and found a folder called iGlossol but couldn't find Dock.png, any help would be appreciated.

hhhhmmm should be some sort of Image file in the app. Just drag some files from the app to your desktop and see what they are

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA

That's because iGlossol does not change the look of your dock. In the Transparent Dock theme, just take out the dock.png and put in a new dock.png (which is what you want). And then re-spring your springboard (Go to Winterboard, and check the transparent dock theme)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.