SSH Tunneling Remote Desktop to Windows Vista on my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hilyin, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Hilyin macrumors newbie

Here is my situation,

Computer A: Windows Vista running openSSH correctly configured.

MacBook Pro: OS X 10.5.6, SSH Tunnel of 3389:localhost:3389 in my ssh command

ssh -c aes256-cbc -N -L3389:localhost:3389 -2 ComputerA -p 22

Now when I connect via Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Mac to localhost, it does an initial connection and then shows the Vista loading icon and then times out.

I've successfully tested the tunnels are working fine, and also that I can directly connect to the Vista computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Mac.

I am boggled as to why it wouldn't work through SSH, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hilyin

2. ctcherry macrumors newbie

3. Hilyin thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly I do not think is an SSH issue, I tried SSHing to my router with WRT-DD firmware on it and going that way, had the same issue.

I think it may have to do with Microsoft's Remote Desktop client for mac not wanting to connect to a tunneled localhost connection.

I've still yet to find a solution, but I am unsure I will find one.

Thank you for trying,

Hilyin

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I would just like to point out that SSH is ancient tech. The last time i tried using this system for creating a proxy server it just completely failed due to poor compatibility.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Which OpenSSH are you using?

Check if the SSH server on your Windows box is outputting something when you output something when you establish your SSH connection. If you're doing this to a Cygwin install, if your shell setup script outputs any characters after you've logged in, it can cause a problem when setting up tunnels.

Also, you're missing a space between the L and the 3 in your ssh command, and you shouldn't need the "-p 22" part of the command either.

Regards,
    Nadyne.