SSH Utility

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gzambran, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gzambran macrumors member

Has anyone seen a SSH utility available via that App Store?

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

SSH implies that they are allowing apps with file system access.

In your dreams.

3. MacPhreak macrumors regular

No, it doesn't. You're confusing SSH with a terminal window. SSH can work just fine without file system access. See PuTTY for Windows. You give it an address, it connects, you disconnect, it quits. No file system access necessary.

4. MacPhreak macrumors regular

5. thespazz macrumors 6502a

I thought he was alluring to OpenSSH a la the one on Installer. Allowing users to connect through SSH to the iPhone.

A program similar to PuTTY would be great, though. I apologize for my rudeness.

6. firewood macrumors 604

Even an SSH server would not require full file system access. Of course, then it could only access files within it's sandbox. Some unix systems lock down user ssh access this way.

7. gzambran thread starter macrumors member

PuTTY is exactly what I had in mind. I am merely trying to connect to my machine at home via SSH and what better way then through my iPhone.

8. Groundzer0 macrumors newbie

All the OP wanted was a simple SSH client. Some sort of SSH/telnet client (not server) should need no file system access, be fairly simple in creation, and fall within the parameters of apple approved apps. All that having been said, I don't see one in the app store yet. Also I would be interested in how key storage and transfer would work on the phone. Anyways, add me to the list of people wanting this app.

9. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

10. DeltaHF macrumors member

11. DeanoUK macrumors newbie

DeanoUK

12. portseven macrumors newbie

Me too!

It's a minimum requirement to upgrade for me

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not only do I want a terminal app, I want a Dock Connector-to-RJ45 dongle to console in to devices so I don't have to lug a laptop to the closet!

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

An SSH client and remote desktop client (Windows and OS X) would be very helpful at times at work.

15. Groundzer0 macrumors newbie

You have the same dream as I. It would be really sweet to be able to console routers and/or whatever else from the iPhone. Given that the iPhone connector goes to usb out, and there are perfectly fine working usb to serial adapters with OSX, I would assume given a bit of wiring, it is technically feasible. I'm uncertain on if file access for developers is deep enough to make this work legitly, but I'm pretty certain on a jailbroken phone it could run.

16. firewood macrumors 604

SDK apps are not given access to the dock connector. You'll have to ask Apple why...

You'd need a wifi to serial converter box of some sort to do this.