SSH vs DiskAid/Explorer?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by h1r0ll3r, Oct 1, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

While I know this will come down to a matter of personal preference, is there any benefit to using one over the other? I've used WinSCP/CyberDuck to SSH as well as used iPhone Explorer. Probably due to my lack of experience, I've always had one issue or another with the SSH programs and never once with the iPhone Explorer. The Explorer, to me, is easy and pretty good for n00b's. All I'm doing is replacing icons, adding tones, etc.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I hardly ever use iPhone Explorer. I usually use FileZilla via sftp. I ssh in from the terminal app on my Mac all the time. The SSH protocol is ultra reliable as is FileZilla.

S-

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Personally, I just use iFile and iFile's built-in web server. Works for simple things.

4. idevSteve macrumors member

Ditto

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I use iFile when I'm away from my MBP and use CyberDuck/Terminal when my MBP is available, so I have a bigger screen to use and a keyboard.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

While you can use them both to manage files, SFTP/SSH goes far beyond a simple file manager.

With SSH you can actually run and execute programs on the iPhone. Try running minicom, which was how they made the last unlock exploit, without using SSH.

If all you are doing is replacing files, either will work, but if you are looking to get much further into iPhone hacking, SSH is a necessity.

7. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I use DiskAid mostly because transferring files are fast and my phone is plugged in a lot. I also like the program its self. Its easy to use. My secondary is cyberduck.