Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Can I ssh into my iPhone without a wireless router? I tried setting up a computer-to-computer network on my MBP and connecting my phone to that, but the terminal just times out when I try the ssh -l <ipaddress> command.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Can I ssh into my iPhone without a wireless router? I tried setting up a computer-to-computer network on my MBP and connecting my phone to that, but the terminal just times out when I try the ssh -l <ipaddress> command.

Not that it is the same issue, but I had everything for SSH apparently setup without issue... but my connections would time out. Anyway, I corrected the issue by doing a restore of the iPhone and *not* synching the data afteward but going directly into installing SSH. Depending on your setup, BlueDonkey rules for easily setting up SSH.

Article: How-To: Successfully Installing SSH on the Apple iPhone

Hope this helps for you. Once you get it working, be sure to post what you did (to help out others who might have the same issue.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.