Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanders

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I have a JB Iphone 3gs running ios4. Cydia has OpenSSH installed (green tick mark) I have Cybderduck installed on my Macbook. I enter IP address root, password alpine etc but I keep getting Cannot Connect message. What am I doing wrong??? :confused:

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I have a JB Iphone 3gs running ios4. Cydia has OpenSSH installed (green tick mark) I have Cybderduck installed on my Macbook. I enter IP address root, password alpine etc but I keep getting Cannot Connect message. What am I doing wrong??? :confused:

1) download cyberduck
2) Download SSH client on Iphone
3) unlock your phone, (keep your phone unlocked, Locked Closes connection)
4) Wifi connection to phone.

lookup your ip address:

type: SFTP

User: Root
Password: alpine.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California

I keep seeing this statement made in various posts. But my iPhone 4 never closes the SSH connection unless the WiFi connection is lost or I manually close it. Locked or unlocked it doesn't matter. I have had the connection open overnight before.

Did this change recently? Or is this some kind of false "truth" that gets spread around?

S-

oSutrooper

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I think I understand what you are saying, make sure that you do the following

Settings---General-----Auto-Lock---- CHANGE THIS TO NEVER and then at the top hit the general button. As long as the phone doesn't lock then the connection will stay open.

Hope this helps

xanders

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
1) download cyberduck
2) Download SSH client on Iphone
4) Wifi connection to phone.

lookup your ip address:

type: SFTP

User: Root
Password: alpine.

I am doing the above, only I use OpenSSH on Cydia. Do I have to turn 'on' something??

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
have you turned on SSH via SBSETTINGS?

if you have sbsetting installed on your iphone you can toggle SSH on/off. your IP address will also be displayed note that the IP address can change from time to time! (i.e. 192.168.1.101/102/103 etc!)

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
My iphone fails to connect if the screen is locked. It has caught me out a few times.lol

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I keep seeing this statement made in various posts. But my iPhone 4 never closes the SSH connection unless the WiFi connection is lost or I manually close it. Locked or unlocked it doesn't matter. I have had the connection open overnight before.

Did this change recently? Or is this some kind of false "truth" that gets spread around?

S-

When my phone locks, the wifi reverts to 3G. I think this is why they are stating that. I know it’s supposed to be persistent wifi, but the jailbreak seems to have changed that.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
I have 3G on and WiFi set to connect to known networks automatically but not set to ask to join new networks.

Regardless, I am happy I don't have this issue.

S-

xanders

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I have installed SBS Settings re-installed Open SSH. Now I see the icon on SBS and turn in on. And I still get an error "premature connection close" any help?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Why does any one even SSH when they can just use iFunBox? So easy to use, no ip addresses or even openssh installed on your phone. Drag and drop.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Why does any one even SSH when they can just use iFunBox? So easy to use, no ip addresses or even openssh installed on your phone. Drag and drop.

iFunBox is a fancy file manager. SSH is sooo much more.

Good luck using iFunBox without your USB cable as well. Right now I'm SSH'd into my phone via the Bluetooth that I am tethering with (I could also use it via WiFi). Also, my Snow Leopard has problems when I try to feed it anything Windows flavored.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
iFunBox is a fancy file manager. SSH is sooo much more.

Good luck using iFunBox without your USB cable as well. Right now I'm SSH'd into my phone via the Bluetooth that I am tethering with (I could also use it via WiFi). Also, my Snow Leopard has problems when I try to feed it anything Windows flavored.

I mean, I would need SSH to simply access my files and install new ones. What other functionality does SSH give me that is actually useful? And I personally prefer using a usb cable. Faster transfers, feels more secure.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I have installed SBS Settings re-installed Open SSH. Now I see the icon on SBS and turn in on. And I still get an error "premature connection close" any help?

You got the ikey worm.. Some worm that shuts off SSH at intervals i guess you can look around this forum for it or google. I had that exact same issue 2 nights ago. Same setup too, macbook, cyberduck. Was getting premature connection..

Get ifile and go find and delete this file..

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ikey.bbot.plis

Reboot the phone and go back and SSH should work fine using root:alpine, might have to reinstall SSH after you delete the file just for safe measures cant remember.

But report back

xanders

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
This is it!

You got the ikey worm.. Some worm that shuts off SSH at intervals i guess you can look around this forum for it or google. I had that exact same issue 2 nights ago. Same setup too, macbook, cyberduck. Was getting premature connection..

Get ifile and go find and delete this file..

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ikey.bbot.plis

Reboot the phone and go back and SSH should work fine using root:alpine, might have to reinstall SSH after you delete the file just for safe measures cant remember.

But report back

Superb! This worked!!! Thanks a ton... wonder where the worm came from??
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.