ssh -X forwarding problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spooner1887, Feb 13, 2011.

1. spooner1887 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am currently log into a work computer (which I do not have easy physical access to) and I log in using "shh -X username@someipaddress". The work computer is running Mac OSX 10.5.*.

When I log in, I receive the following error:
    Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
    Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

But the more important problem is that when I try to run
    "open some.pdf" I get the following error:
    kCGErrorRangeCheck : Window Server communications from outside of session allowed for root and console user only
    INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer.Abort trap

I get this error pretty much anytime I actually try opening something to utilizes the GUI via the X forwarding. I'm not sure that these two problems are related, but it is quite annoying.

I've googled around and have not found an adequate solution to this. Yes, the file /private/etc/sshd_config has X11Forwarding set to yes.

If anyone has any insight that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Unless the app you're opening on the remote machine is an X11 app, it can't use the display. You could install an X11-based .pdf viewer like Xpdf on the remote machine and then use it to open .pdf files.

You might also look into using VNC/Screen Sharing, if you want to run non-X11 apps remotely.

By the way, the warning message at login is unrelated and benign. You might try ssh -Y instead of ssh -X.