Ssh

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

What is the best tool to SSH these days?

Been a while since I had Terminal / OpenSSH on my iP4 (4.1), and now I'm on a Mac (was on Windows). At the time it was open SSH and Cyberduck I believe.

My thought was to look into iFunbox instead - but I may not be clear on the functionality....

What are you guys using?

Also - if the root password was changed on a previous firmware/jailbreak, and I've since restored and re-jailbroken, does it need to be changed from the default alpine again, or does that carry over with the restore from my backup?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm currently using iFunBox. Basically gives you access to all the root files. I don't use SSH but I'm guessing they do the same thing except one doesn't need you to physically connect your device to a computer.

3. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

That's the impression I got. Thanks!

Anyone else have any preferences/input? I'm curious about SSH because from what I understand, you can use it to fix some issues even if your phone is stuck in recovery, etc. Does iFunbox offer that functionality?

Thanks again.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I hate USB cables:). Ive tried a lot of apps, but I always end up using Cyberduck.

5. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks. Is that the general consensus, or are there other options for wireless?

6. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Another question along these lines; Does iFunbox allow you work with the device while it is in recovery like SSH will? Also, are there any programs besides Cyberduck that people are using/prefer?

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I used iFunbox when my iPhone was boot cycling, so I would assume yes. It even recognized it when it was in DFU.

8. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Good to know - thank you!

9. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but does anyone know if it's necessary to change the root PW again in terminal after a restore before re-installing openSSH? Thanks!

10. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Yeah best to change the "alpine" password to be on the safe side!

If you have already done this then no need to keep changing it.

11. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I have done this, but not since restoring (used previous phone backup in iTunes) & re-jailbreaking. Hence, I was wondering if it went back to the default "alpine" when I did the restore.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

iFunBox, when you first run the SSH terminal, will check for the default password.

13. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Meaning you have to tell it to look for a custom one, or you will romped to change it?

14. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It'll ask you for your password if it isn't the default one. Otherwise it'll prompt you to change it.

16. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Perfect - makes sense now. Thank you!

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

If you are going to use SSH, use a REAL SSH client like Fugu or another FTP program. These kinds of programs will allow you to CHMOD unlike the goofball popular programs people seem to use with stripped down feature sets.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would just point out that by default iFunBox uses afc2 not SSH. It is therefore limitedin it's functionality (it cannot create files or folders with other than 644 permissions, for instance). Also, even if you choose to use iFunBox primarily, I would strongly recommend installing OpenSSH and iFile on your phone. They can be great for troubleshooting when some bad package puts you in a restoring loop, etc.

19. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Cyberduck does what I need it to do, and its simple. Are these others more difficult and just add features you don't need anyway?

20. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I like iFunbox because it gives me access to the root files of my phones and also has a built in SSH terminal.