Ssh ...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by degrutze, Nov 8, 2007.

1. degrutze macrumors newbie

its just a dumb question.... but for a mac newbee like me, it is a smart question.... :cool:

What is exactly SSH?.... i have it in my i touch after i jailbreaked it... but i don't know the function....

2. goldypoker macrumors member

One of the best things about the newest touchfree jailbreak method is the instalation of an SSH switch on your springboard.

SSH allows you to enter your ipod touch file/directory system (with a PC, you can do this with a program like winSCP or cuteFTP...on a MAC with Cyberduck...)
    Why would you want to do this? Well, for starters, some applications (such as the iphone apps) arent located on the installer that comes with the touchfree JB...you have to add them manually onto the touch. Additionally, some apps need files to read/use (such as game ROMs w/the NES app, or PDF files with the PDF viewer app)...these files also need to be manually added into the appropriate directory/folder on your touch...you do this by accesing it by SSH.

The SSH that came pre-installed on your springboard is actually a switch, meaning you have to enable it (turn it to "on") before you can do any of the above. My understanding is that by having the ability to switch it on and off, you save increased battery usage as opposed to it being in an "always on" state.

As to what programs to use to SSH into your touch, how to instal iphone aps, what goes where, exactly how to do it, and which ones to use for a Mac or PC, use the search function in this forum or try You-tube for some very helpful and informative "how to" videos.....if you have any more specific questions once you've done the above groundwork, I would be glad to try and answer them for you.....

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Secure SHell is a protocol that allows you to set up an encrypted channel between two devices running ssh.

In the case of the iPod touch, it allows you send system commands to the iPod touch from your computer. As I understand, most users simply wanting to install applications won't need to use it. But, for example, if you want to make iCal editable on the Touch, you'll use it to access a system file that disables editing of calendars

4. goldypoker macrumors member

LOL...although Im sure your description is very accurate and concise, to a newbie (such as myself or the OP) it might as well be Greek....

This is news to me....have you found a way to install iphone apps (which just about everyone with a JB touch wants..) without SSHing into the touch??

5. planetbeing macrumors member

That's possible using iPhuc, but definitely more difficult. However, only SFTP is required for installing apps since many SFTP programs allow you to change permissions within the GUI. You need SSH installed to use SFTP though.

But it still amounts to users not needing to mess with a command line at all.

6. phoxrenvatio macrumors regular

if you use iJailBreak, it will automatically upload the missing iPhone apps to your iPod as it's being jailbroken.

[EDIT] here's the link: http://www.ijailbreak.com/

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

My intention was a brief description, using abstract concepts that most people would understand, of ssh without going into a long treatise about all its features before discussing its use in relation to the iPhone.

I could define the terms I used for you, which really don't have any special significance to computing or ssh or iPods, but let me restate that sentence another way...

SSH lets two computers talk securely.

This is what I was referring to. I've only been looking at the recent jailbreak options. Sorry for the confusion.

8. degrutze thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Wow.. thank you guys... i understand it now...

9. cineapple macrumors regular

Finding my password on cyberduck

I just got cyberduck to access the directory on my itouch, but when I connect it asks me for my password. I never set a password for my itouch, and all the passwords I use for my computer don't work. What password is it looking for, and where would I set it? I tried setting the password function in the SSH springboard on my itouch, but that doesn't seem to do anything either. Any suggestions?

10. goldypoker macrumors member

My understanding is that the default password is "alpine" (without the quotation marks...)

Also, if needed, the username is "root"...and the host address is your IP address as assigned by your router to your touch....

....this is for SSHing into your touch by winSCP on a PC (as opposed to CD on a MAC) but I think the user/passwords are the same in either-case...if not, Im sure someone will be by to correct me shortly....Good luck!

11. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

No, you're quite right about the password. I'd just like to add a reminder to change your password so you don't leave your touch vulnerable. Also, goldypoker is correct about ssh killing battery life. Its an always-on process, since its always waiting for connections so turning it off is a good idea. Not only will you preserve battery life, but no one will be able to gain access to your iPod if you do for some reason forget to change your password.