SSHD Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ncboston, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ncboston macrumors newbie

I have found a good deal on an internal SSHD. I want to hook it up to my iMac via thunderbolt, but have not found an enclosure that supports anything faster than USB 3.0. Are there any enclosures out there that support thunderbolt?

If not would an external SSHD on USB 3.0 offer a performance boost over an internal TB HD that comes with iMac (21.5" 2013)

Thanks

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since is it a SSHD and not a true SSD and you were just using the drive for general file storage I'm not sure how much of a performance increase would be noticed, outside of benchmarks.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even a USB3 enclosure with UASP can support 400MB/s in reads and writes in real life.

4. ncboston thread starter macrumors newbie

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

1. Unless you get an SSD, Thunderbolt isn't going to offer a greater speed than USB3.

2. Desktop SSHDs are designed to cache frequently accessed blocks of data (like the OS when used as a boot drive) and would not offer much of a performance improvement over a regular 7200 RPM hard drive when used as an external data drive.

3. If you can afford it, the vastly superior storage method for lots of photos is an external SSD, but they are limited to 1TB in size at the moment.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just as a reminder, the OP has a 2013 21.5-inch iMac.
    That will have a 2.5-inch, 5400-rpm HDD, (not 7200-rpm) so a decent desktop SSHD on USB 3 should be just fine.