Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conglacious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Greetings all,

I have had problems connecting to my school's network for some time now. It would only allow me to connect in certain areas even though I have full bars. I downloaded macstumbler and found out that they have several Cisco wireless bridges across the campus broadcasting on different channels, but they all have the same SSID. All are open accept for one with wep encryption. My mac wants to automatically connect to that device when I am in a certain area and wont let me connect to any of the other open ones (only one SSID is displayed in Airport Preferences). Is there any way to manually connect to a device by mac address instead of SSID? My "PC" friends get a kick out of me not being able to connect and I need to sport the superiority of my device. Thanks for any help guys!

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Greetings all,

I have had problems connecting to my school's network for some time now. It would only allow me to connect in certain areas even though I have full bars. I downloaded macstumbler and found out that they have several Cisco wireless bridges across the campus broadcasting on different channels, but they all have the same SSID. All are open accept for one with wep encryption. My mac wants to automatically connect to that device when I am in a certain area and wont let me connect to any of the other open ones (only one SSID is displayed in Airport Preferences). Is there any way to manually connect to a device by mac address instead of SSID? My "PC" friends get a kick out of me not being able to connect and I need to sport the superiority of my device. Thanks for any help guys!

I am having the same issue with my new Rev B MacBook Air, it will not pull an ip address automatically. My IT department says they have talked to Cisco, and to Apple, and they each blame the other company. :mad: They had no resolution to the issue.

SO bump, anyone deal with an issue like this and can help us get our Macs to pull the ip address automatically co we can connect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.