Resolved SSL connection establishment flaky on U-verse router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloatingBones, Mar 5, 2015.

1. FloatingBones, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I recently switched from AT&T's DSL service to U-verse. It's their 300-level service; one bug report out there implied that routers work differently at different levels of U-verse service. I'm noticing flaky performance when establishing SSL connections. Symptoms:

1. Establishing an SSL connection is sometimes instantaneous and sometimes takes ~1 minute and sometimes never works.
    2. If I establish a tunneling VPN connection (with ProXPN free demo), all problems disappear. Problem is clearly in the U-verse router and not my Apple computers.
    3. If I go into Chrome incognito mode, SSL connection establishment is typically instantaneous, but not always.
    4. I sometimes see a "bad certificate" message from the router.

I think whatever SSL certificate checking the router is doing is broken. I'd like to turn all of that nonsense off. Has anyone figured this out? Thanks.

2. FloatingBones thread starter macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I believe the problem is resolved. The best source of information I found was this discussion here on dslreports.com .

The problem appears to be related to requesting a dns lookup when https connections are being established. Apparently, the router is attempting to establish a connection over IPv6, and this connection must time out (about 60 seconds) before the lookup fails over IPv4. I disabled IPv6 on the NVG589 modem:

http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/etherlan.ha and turned off IPv6 in the pull-down menu on that page, and clicked the SAVE button.

I'm not really comfortable with this solution. I have yet to see a lucid explanation why it's happening. Is there a bug in the NVG589's firmware? Is there a problem connecting with my Airport Extreme router to the NVG589? I don't know. AT&T doesn't seem to have any sort of service bulletin posted anywhere on this problem. If anyone has a good story about what's happening, please add it to this discussion. Thanks.