SSL Green Bar

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roycemac, May 15, 2012.

1. roycemac macrumors member

I noticed that my Ipad does not show a green bar when I visit a site with a Green SSL certificate Bar.
    I've tested 4 different sites which show a green bar on my laptop, but none show green on the Ipad.

Is this an Ipad issue or do I have something set incorrectly on my Ipad?

2. Angry-Birds macrumors member

The only thing the green bar means is that the website has undergone EV (extended validation) where Verisigin or Thawte have actually done extensive research to verify that the organization is who they say they are. You will probably notice that some websites are SSL-secured (denoted by a HTTPS:// prefix) but without the green bar. This simply means they have not gone through extended validation.

Green bar or not, your session is still encrypted, and as long as the certificate is from a trusted organization (Verisign, Thawte, GoDaddy, Comodo, etc.) you are fine.

3. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you but that was not the question.
    The question was WHY the Ipad does not display the green bar as other computers do when an EV SSL is present on the visited site.
    Is this due the the Ipad DEVICE not being able to display the green bar, or is it something that I have not set correctly.

4. DavisJoseph macrumors newbie

SSL Green Bar

Can you tell me which website you open in iPad?

I am sure the website that you open in your iPad is not Installing extended validation certificate this is configuring with other validation certificate.

5. Nothlit macrumors regular

iOS does indicate EV certificates, at least on iOS 5. It shows a green padlock instead of a black padlock, and it shows the verified name of the company in green on the tab label. Try visiting PayPal on your iPad to see what I mean. It may not show the green bar like you're used to on your laptop, but it does differentiate from non-EV sites.

6. jameslabonte macrumors newbie

I am fully agree with this answer..