Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sustainability

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
My brother is going to the University of St. Andrews in Scotland a month from now and he wants to get the iPhone. This would be nice for us because then we could use Facetime to talk to one another free of charge (when not using Skype).

However, I had a few questions I figured I would ask the community before I go in and ask an Apple representative (because I don't fully trust sales employees on issues such as this).

• What service is used in Scotland?
  • Is there a plan that would allow for him to use the iPhone when back in the States?
  • What are the text message rates between the US and Scotland?
These are the only questions I'll ask the forum at the moment, but any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The iPhone 4 is available on all 5 of the UK's cell phone networks. Tesco Mobile also sell the iPhone with their own plans, but they don't have a physical cell tower network of their own (they use O2's).

All of them would allow for international roaming to use the phone in the US, but it will cost a fortune (particularily for data), so it's extremely inadvisable. Apple do sell unlocked iPhone 4's in the UK from their own stores that can be used on any carrier, so that might be a better solution - then he can get a cheap UK sim-only plan and just stick an AT&T sim in the phone when he's in the US.

International text prices depend on the exact tarriff and operator, but as an example on an O2 pay monthly iPhone contract over £35 a month, a text from the UK to the US is 12 pence.

Phazer

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Your brother is one lucky guy - St Andrews is an amazing place. I live about 30 miles away and go there on holiday it's so nice. I agree with the last poster. Buy sim free in the UK from an Apple Store (Glasgow or Aberdeen in Scotland) and take your pick from the networks. I find Vodafone works best in St Andrews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.