Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Since upgrading to Leopard, I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of crashes in the above captioned applications. I haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary with these applications, over what I did in Tiger; however, they seem to crash more often. Some of the things that I've done that cause them to crash include: hitting the back button multiple times in succession in Safari, editing header/trailers in MS Word and then turning on view markup, and clicking Get Mail multiple times in Mail. They don't always crash when I do these things, but I have never had a problem in the past.

Anyone else notice a rise in application instability in Leopard?

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
For me, Mail every now and then partially hangs and takes up hundreds of megs of ram when checking for new messages. It's more likely to happen when the mail check is instigated by an applescript. The script runs through System Events so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Safari, on the other hand, has been much more stable than on Tiger (though my Tiger Safari might have had some unusual brokenness). Thankfully I've not had any reason to install Word yet so no reports from that front :).

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
Hmmm... well if I'm the only one, then perhaps it is because I upgraded to Leopard versus a fresh install?

rstorm

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
Hmmm... well if I'm the only one, then perhaps it is because I upgraded to Leopard versus a fresh install?

Have not encountered crashing programs. I did Archive and install. Only problem I had is getting my email. Had to recreate the pop accounts to get it too work without problem.

Safari is still a memory leaker tho.

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
after the first time i rebooted leopard and opened mail, it crashed a couple times. since then, it's been rock solid. no problems with safari and i haven't reinstalled office yet since iwork is working great for my needs so far. i even tried pressing the check mail button repeatedly and it didn't cause a crash.

i did do a clean install of leopard...

tshimko1

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Safari

Lately my Safari has started crashing...either when loading a page or
just hitting back like 3 or 4 times....
Get's to be a real nuisance.....

:(

hijofrizbe

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
New York
I'm with ya...

Crashes galore... at least in Word, Mail, and iChat. and it's not doing complicated things... another thin I have encountered is that my verifying / repairing permissions hangs up. it stops after one minute remaining comes up. This makes me very depressed about the stability of leopard and makes me feel like I might have to spend the thanksgiving weekend wiping my hd and starting over from scratch. bah. :-\:(

cornopaez

macrumors regular
Since upgrading to Leopard, I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of crashes in the above captioned applications. I haven't been doing anything out of the ordinary with these applications, over what I did in Tiger; however, they seem to crash more often. Some of the things that I've done that cause them to crash include: hitting the back button multiple times in succession in Safari, editing header/trailers in MS Word and then turning on view markup, and clicking Get Mail multiple times in Mail. They don't always crash when I do these things, but I have never had a problem in the past.

Anyone else notice a rise in application instability in Leopard?

Mail is definitively unstable sometimes... it's hangs in there for ever, as if it was waiting for Godot (Geeky joke :D). Joost is a hit and miss kind of thing; works great sometimes, but mostly crashes. I haven't used MS Office since I switched to iWork '08; does the trick for me. Haven't had problems with Safari, iChat or Skype. I've had a couple of issues with Finale 2006, but then again is rock solid most of the times.

hijofrizbe

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
New York
Quick Update...

So spending Black Friday at my computer was a bit disheartening [sarcasm]. :eek: I saved all the garbage I needed to save blah blah blah - reinstalled via the erase and install and... HOLY MOLY it all works awesome. So far I haven't had it crash with anything... I've even hardcore tinkered with it - trying to make it lock. Nope. Holy Stable! :) Okay so I'm much happier - event tho updating was a huge waste of my time and patience. :-D

Enjoy

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
So the consensus, not surprisingly I suppose, seems to be that erase + install or archive + install is more stable than a simple upgrade. This was the rule of thumb I used when I was in Windows, and I had hoped that it wasn't true for OS X as well >_<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.