Stability of iOS 7

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by hungx, May 22, 2014.

?

If you currently have an iPhone running iOS 7, what will your next phone be?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2014.
  1. Another iPhone

58.1%
  2. Android

25.8%
  3. Windows

16.1%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hungx, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

**Begin rant**

Pre-iOS 7 versions of iOS have been pretty stable for me. I experienced frequent springboard and Safari crashes with iOS 7.0, though iOS 7.1 has largely fixed it. Now I still experience lag when using the multitasker and my screen brightness sometimes dims for no apparent reason (I have auto brightness turned off). Even pre-iOS 7 betas are more stable than iOS 7. Tim Cook's decision to appoint Jony Ive to head of software design was a horrible idea. All the useless animations use up a lot of the measly 1gb of RAM (I know I can turn them off, but the phone should be able to work smoothly right out of the box).

I'm beginning to look for other alternatives, more specifically Windows and stock Android phones. I refuse to accept flavored Android as an alternative due to lag on almost every device I've used.

**End rant**

Is anyone fed up enough with iOS 7 to look for alternatives? My iPhone 5s is still currently on contract, so I might look for other alternatives once my contract is up.

I understand that some people, like me, are heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem and are thus reluctant to switch. I do have an iPad Mini, though, so I can still use iOS apps.

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yeah i got head aches looking at a tiny 5S screen, the S5 Amoled screen is perfect.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Currently using an iPhone 5S with no issues/incidents and recently picked up a Xperia Z1 Compact as a backup and to scratch my Android itch. The only other device that remotely has my interest is the rumored HTC One Prime so unless that is released prior to the next iPhone, the next phone I'll be taking a hard look is likely the 5.5" new iPhone.

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Sounds like you might have a defective unit. Never once experienced any of those symptoms except for a few random crashes but that's to be expected. Sounds like it might be time for a Genius Bar appointment.

5. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I actually don't care about the screen size, but I wouldn't say no to a bigger screen. The green tint on AMOLED screens gives me a headache whenever I look at it.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend has gone through a few phones, a few DFU restores, and her iPhone still crashes randomly. 7.1 helped, but it's still buggy.

7. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

The memory issues and Safari/springboard crashes with iOS 7.0 are very common. The brightness issue only started recently and seems like a software bug. The screen dims to about the same brightness as when watching videos on iOS 7 (iOS 7 slightly dims the screen when watching videos). I'm going to wait for the next iOS update and see if that fixes it. I'm not sure if the Geniuses will do anything about it since it isn't something I can replicate.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I'm not getting another iPhone I'm going to black berry.... Jk I'm getting the next iPhone

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I just changed from an iPhone 5S running 7.1 to a Samsung Galaxy S5, and I'm pretty content with my purchase.

Enough so that Apple is going to have to really work to get my back.

A lot is going to depend on what I see at WWDC. iOS 8 is far more important than a 4.7" screen.

I'll be watching though.

Though the Nokia Lumia 930 is interesting looking with 8.1.

10. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

I think a large screen(>4.7 in) is important as well. A 4 inch phone is a toy at best. Android are the real smartphones.

11. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I've had no issues with iOS 7 on both my iPhone 5 and 5S, both of which I use daily.

I'm switching to a Nexus 5 this weekend (and taking my iPhone 5 out of the mix) to learn a new OS but iOS 7 in no way swayed my decision to do that.

12. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

It's been about 6 months since I've used iOS, but I don't recall having issues with it on my iPad mini.

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ha....:rolleyes:

iOS 7 has worked just fine for me. iPad Air, rMini, iPhone 5S, 5C and my wife's 5. Even runs well on my Grandmother-in-law's 4S.

14. Naxters macrumors newbie

My iPhone 5S works perfect with iOS 7, but my iPad 2 is a bit laggy.. however I can understand this, the iPad 2 was announced in 2011. Before I upgraded my iPad to iOS 7 i could even play GTA SA on it without lags, but after update this game is unplayable.. too laggy.

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

Currently, have an iPhone 5, but plan to sell it and primarily use my Note 3 until Spring 2015. I am not on contract, and I know for sure I won't be able to find a reasonably priced iPhone 6 for around $450 of less until Spring.

17. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

It very interesting....I find IOS has to catch up to Android to get me to buy again. But as the rumors go...Apple will finally catch up to the rest of the smartphone market and release larger screen phones.

18. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

I think iOS 7.1 is stable for day to day use, but it's the many small bugs that bother the heck out of me since I rarely experienced any bugs pre iOS 7.

I can't stand the slight green tint in the AMOLED screens Samsung uses, so I'm considering the HTC One M8.

19. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I enjoy my iPad air on 7.1b3 very much. I would say it is stable. Ios has annoyances for sure, but I find most are fixed with a jailbreak (which is a royal pain in itself).

7.0.x performed significantly worse on the air IMO , particularly with Safari, which is what I mostly use.

I'm out of the iphone game :p, my iphone 4 is on 6.1 still.

Any future ios purchases for me revolve around the availability of a jailbreak.

20. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

I don't have any issues with it... I think you should restore from iTunes, and set it up as a new phone... Save all your photos and contacts

21. BuyCurious macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to really get annoyed by mine. It randomly resets itself during FaceTime conversations, just com

----------

I'm beginning to really get annoyed by mine. It randomly resets itself during FaceTime conversations, just completely out of the blue, every hour or two.

22. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I have had no problems with it running on my iPad mini.:)

23. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

No problems here on my iPad 2. 7.1 fixed all problems.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iOS7 has been rock solid on my iPhone 5, my wife's and my iPad minis (I have 1 rMini and 3 minis for the family). With that said, I've already traded in my IP5 and went over to a windows phone - no regrets.

25. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

iOS 7.1 fixed most of the issues, but there are still some bugs that happen occasionally, notably the screen dimming and the reloading tabs in Safari. I've also noticed that after activating screen rotation lock in portrait mode on my iPad, the wallpaper is sideways (landscape) when I return to the home screen.

I could care less about the flat UI, but the amount of bugs bothers me immensely.