Stabilizing Match Moved Text in Motion 5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cwazytech, Sep 10, 2012.

1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

Maybe someone has an answer or maybe I can be pointed toward a tutorial. I remember this being an easy thing to accomplish in previous versions of Motion, but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it. I have done a "Match Move" with some text I've added to a video. However, the video footage is shaky, therefore the Text is shaky and it doesn't quite anchor itself the way I want it to. I don't really want to stabilize the footage, but I do want the "Motion Tracked Text" to look more stabile. Please help. Thanks.

2. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems as though I may have underestimated the helpfullness of these forums. There are people with Motion 5 experience reading this, no?

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Go unto YouTube under Motion and you will find people posting video tutorial on all kinds of subjects.
    I have got Motion. But sorry to say i dont use it. Got enough to understand the nuts and bolts of Final Cut Pro-X

4. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

I have found tons of videos related to Motion Tracking with texts, but not one of them talks about how to smooth out shaky texts once it is motion tracked. I must have watched more than 10 different videos.

5. cwazytech thread starter macrumors 6502

New problem.

So I compromised an stabilized the footage which fixed my initial problem. Now I have a new one. The footage is a panning shot. The camera moves from right to left. The text appears on screen about half way through. It's fixed to my "match move" and looks very smooth. The only problem that it looks like it rotates while moving into the shot. Any ideas on how to fix this?

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

7. floh macrumors 6502

There is actually a difference between complete "Match Moving" and a simple tracking. The latter can be done (pretty well) by Motion 5 and will just track some markers on the screen. Match Moving itself usually contains the movement of the camera itself, which is a different and more complicated story. For objects moving in the scene and even for most pans and tilts, the tracking works fine, but if the camera is really moving (on a dolly or similar) or if the pans are too wide, it will look off, as you noticed.

Match Moving tools that look at thousands of markers in a scene and try to guess the camera motion are usually very expensive and complex. I heard that the newest version of Adobe After Effects can do it, but until then people had to buy very expensive extra software for this task.

The cheapest software I found back when I wanted to do this was called "PFHoe" by Pixelfarm. They discontinued the software though and are now only selling its more powerful (and more expensive) bigger brothers. Here is a short screen recording of how the simple software works:
    Simple 3D Match Moving with PFHoe

But I bought this quite a while back and am convinced that by now, there might be cheap alternatives to do the same thing for you. I can assure you that this can not be done within Motion. Of course, you can just do it manually and rotoscope the crap out of your shot. ;)