Stack Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikelong622, Nov 6, 2007.

1. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Is there an easy way to make my stack icon not just have the icon of the first thing in the folder? For instance; I made an application folder stack and the icon is just that of the Address Book. How can I make it show the Application folder? Do I need to just put a blank folder in front and give it the same icon as the Applications folder? That's sort of a quick fix but I suppose it would suffice for the time being.

2. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

for your appl. folder for example you could just create a folder with the desired folder icon within the app. folder and name it "1" or something.
    I assume you keep your app folder sorted by name so then the empty folder "1" will be listed as the first item and you always have the app. folder on top.

3. mikelong622 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Just made a blank folder named AA and used the applications folder icon for it. Walla!

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

another very elegant way of having an icon staying on top of stacks is using terminal and changing the "date modified" value.
    I have that on my downloads stack...and it works pretty good...

however, if anyone knows how to change the date added of a file/folder that would be kinda cool (if possible at all)

5. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Bins for your Stacks

Just came across this today - It's a very good idea. It gives you what looks like bins for your stacks i.e. application bin or download bin but still shows you what's inside that bin.

http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

Just download the icons and move them into the specific stack. They've been modified using the touch command to always be on top.

Enjoy,

HHM

6. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Yeah, but in my downloads stack, I have an item 'Delete All' that keeps everything tidy. Will that ruin the drawers thing?

7. glasserp macrumors regular

I'm not sure about this... but if you go to Get Info for the stack icon and check Locked, it shouldn't get deleted.

8. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

*blast from the past*

I'm glad that Apple fixed this and allowed us to just display the folder icon, no contents. :)

9. xmnmx macrumors newbie

easy

click and hold on the stack in the dock, when the menu pops up change setting to display as folder (not stack). did this for downloads and docs folder and they stay as a folder icon. change the icons to whatever you like.