Stacking hard drives...how fast?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StrokeMidnight, Mar 18, 2008.

1. StrokeMidnight macrumors member

I'm buying a hard drive for audio editing. I'm planning on buying an external enclosure since most pre-made external hard drives don't have firewire. I wanted to know if these products will be fast or too slow for audio/video editing. Also, are they good products.

One of the first three on this list here x2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&N=2010150014+103530113+1035307886&name=500GB

This enclosure x2:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817146604

Of the internal hard drives which do you think is the best?

2. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Bumps aren't necessary (plus, they are expressly forbidden by forum rules, just so you're aware). If anyone has an answer, they'll chime in. It may take more than two hours, though. ;)

The enclosure you linked to will not work with those drives. The drives are SATA, the enclosure is IDE. You need to find a SATA/FireWire enclosure, or switch to IDE drives.

That being said, The second WD looks to be pretty good for your purposes. I don't know much about dual-speed drives (as the Samsung appears to be), and for the work you mention, you may as well have a full-time 7200.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Looks like you are trying to put an SATA drive in an IDE box. They gotta match.

Lots of places sell FW external drives alread assembled. Try OWC at
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
    Many other places are as good.

5. StrokeMidnight thread starter macrumors member

The problem is that I need 1TB and I can only spend $260, or maybe a few dollars over. All of those are much more for 1TB.

By the way, sorry for the bump, but I'm really nervous about this. I keep getting messages that my disk is full, but I can't find anything I can delete. I'm hoping to order this tonight.

6. zschiffman macrumors member

Get the WD Caviar 7200rpm for editing. Make sure you use a SATA enclosure. :apple:

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I like MacAlly cases.

I advise not cheaping out on a case - get a good quality Firewire case

You get more bang for your buck from a 750- GB drive than a 1 TB.

If you don't need 1000 GB right away, go with a 750 and then add another 750 later. This will give you some redundancy.

The Coolmax CD-311 drive is ugly, but it takes both SATA and IDE drives, and has eSATA, USB and Firewire 400 connections. It has been reliable so far.

8. pinktank macrumors 6502

best option would be getting a stack with esata and a esata express card,
    firewire 800
    firewire 400
    usb

in that order