stacking mac peripherals

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CultHero, Aug 22, 2008.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I just got an Apple TV and Airport Extreme and was surprised how much heat the Apple TV puts off. I was hoping to save rack real estate and stack them but don't want to fry the extreme. I have googled and can't really seem to find anything about stacking them. They look like they are meant to be stacked, wondered what everyone else is doing.

for the record, I will be stacking the apple TV on top, as it is quite a bit hotter.

2. devman macrumors 65816

devman

FWIW I wanted to stack them too but didn't because, as you've said, the ATV gets so damn hot.

3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

no one? I am thinking this may be an issue as the apple TV is making a lot of noise? Sounds like a fan, but from what I have read, it doesn't have one.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I would not recommend you stack them, since you will want the Airport Extreme on top for best reception (and mine is a bit warm), but the :apple:tv is so hot.

You could use some tallish "struts" (say about 5cm/2in) to allow adequate airflow between the two, but that's going to affect the look.

5. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I stack my AEBS on top of two usb hard drive/hubs designed to fit under a Mac Mini. In the summer sometimes it starts to buzz (as far as I can tell it's coming from the AEBS), so I'll turn off the HDs.

6. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

FWIW, I decided not to stack them due to the heat. It seems like they would be meant to stack but they both seemed to get too hot.