Stacks/Dock Folder Icon...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eggshells, Mar 24, 2009.

1. eggshells macrumors newbie

Okay, sorry if this has been covered already--my search-fu is weak today. And sorry if my jargon is wrong.

So, I recently replaced my white MacBook (OS X 10.5) with a new MacBook.

In the old dock:
    I had created a folder within the HD called "·launcher"--so it would appear at the top of the list. I created a custom icon for the folder, created an alias on the desktop. I then put the alias in the dock. When I would click on the folder it would open like stacks.

New dock:
    If I do the above process, the folder opens as a finder window--no more stacks. If I pull the folder directly to the dock, without creating the alias, the folder opens as a stack, but the icon is gone and replaced with the generic folder icon.

Is there a way to have a custom icon AND have the stack/folder open as stacks?

Oh, and I don't like the option of putting a image file as the first item in the folder because then the "icon" that appears is smaller, and in front of the folder I hate.

thanks so much!

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I have to drag the folder I want on the dock to the dock and put a _ named icon in the folder to get it to use it's icon. Then you get stacks or whatever you set it to do.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just some jargon corrections to reduce possible confusion.. there is no "open" as a stack. Stack only refers to how the folder icon(s) are displayed in the Dock.

I'm guessing that's what you mean rather than "open like stacks"?

Otherwise, do you mean "View content as", "Grid" or "Fan"?

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

yes. fan is stacks in my thinking, and grid in the big square and the other is like a hierarchy menu. There is also "auto" which I'm not really sure what criteria it uses. Once you drag a folder there it should give you all those options, but the most reliable way to iconize it is with a icon file in the folder with a _ as the name.

5. RoninXI macrumors regular

I made an icon and put it in the folder with the name " Downloads" then set the "Sort By" on stacks to "Name" The space made the icon stay on top of the stack so it was always the main icon for the stack. Only downside it you are going to have thet icon file in there all the time but it is not a big deal.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

'Auto' just displays the content via the 'Fan', 'Grid' or 'List' view depending on the number of items to be displayed. The smallest number (if I remember right <12) are displayed via 'Fan'. From 'Fan', it goes to 'Grid' and I think that involves the size of your screen for the maximum items to be displayed as 'Grid'. Any number of items larger than that will displayed as 'List'.

That works fine, but I prefer the 'Grid' over the 'Fan', so on stacks with a small number of items I set it to display content as 'Grid' rather than Automatic to override the default.