Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I know I can make a stack of recent applications on my doc. Is there a way I can make a stack of a selection of applications. For example, all my games? Or all my web development applications?

Basically, any kind of custom stack where I can choose what apps appear in it?

Thanks.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Just make a folder called Games or Web Development. Then make aliases of the apps you want to put in the respected stacks and drag them into the newly created folders.

Then just pop those folders into your dock. And there you go customized app stacks.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
So I am totally new to Mac. Just bought it in June. I don't quite know how the file/folder structures work yet.

In Windows, I would make a folder on my desktop, or whatever, and put shortcuts in it.

Should I make my "games" folder in the "applications" folder, or somewhere else on the Mac? I am trying my best to get out of the Windows mentality and truly embrace the way Mac does things. I don't want to revert!!

Thanks.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I created holder folders in a sub-folder of my Documents folder. Here's what I have:

Documents\OS X Stacks\Favorites\
Documents\OS X Stacks\Web Development\
Documents\OS X Stacks\Video Editing\

Right-click on an app and choose "Make alias". Drag that into the appropriate folder. Drag the folders to the right side of the dock.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 7.58.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 7.58.58 PM.png
    340 KB · Views: 53

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
That's great!

One last question. When I move the stack of game alias' to the dock, it shows the image of one of the games. Can I change that in any way?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out the difference between a stack and a folder!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.