Stacks grid animation choppy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sharky II, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi,

I have a MBP 15" 2.16 Core duo, and a new mac pro octo 2.8 with the 8800GT

When i click the applications stack on the MBP, it's not very smooth. Everything else is, expose, time machine animation, dashboard, etc etc, but the stacks animation is a bit jerky. Fan/stack is smooth as butter.

It's smooth on my new mac pro (!)

But, i find it difficult that you need 8 processors and a graphics card with 512 ram just to get a nice stacks/grid animation...? I'm thinking it just needs opengl optimising in a future update...

Is it smooth on other peoples computers?

Thanks

2. supergrandma macrumors member

I have a 2.0 GHz SR MB, and my Grid animation is very choppy. Of course, I prefer using the List setting.

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

4. pokrface macrumors member

After upgrading my 24" Al iMac from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, my grid animation got extremely choppy. With anything more than about 30 items in a grid, the opening animation uses maybe five frames, and the closing animation is one or two. Shift-clicking on it starts smooth and very quickly goes to chop-chop-chop.

With luck, this will eventually be fixed, or at least revert to 10.5.1-style behavior.

5. rcownley macrumors member

I had this same problem, hence why i have changed to using the list view as of late.

6. writeous macrumors regular

i've had this problem a couple of times. i found that reinstalling the leopard graphics update gets the speed back, but my graphics werent always choppy. its just one day all of the sudden they start moving in slow motion, so I think it may have something to do with the system, not the computer speed.

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yeah it was choppy for me too, especially when putting the cursor over the dock while having a grid open. It seemed leopard graphics update or 10.5.2 completely fixed various choppy animation problems i was having.

8. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The Leopard Graphics Update fixed all sluggishness in animations for me.

9. priller macrumors regular

Its not choppy on my macbook with 10.5.2 & the graphics update.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Depends how many items I have in my stack. My downloads folder is silky smooth if I only have 4 items in it. Where as the Applications stack is really stuttery because it has 20+ items in it.

I think Apple need to work on optimization of animations and effects.

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Mine's not choppy unless I'm using all my RAM or CPU on other things...

Otherwise quite smooth.

12. pokrface macrumors member

Is there a way to re-download the graphics update? Alternately, is the package still living on my hard drive somewhere so that I can re-execute it?

13. kolax macrumors G3

14. pokrface macrumors member