Stacks - Icons don't update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I've created an Application stack, but any application I drag into the stack AFTER I've created it, the icon shows up as a grey circle with a line through it, like it can't find the icon. Is this just me? This seems absolutely silly. Every time I get a new application, I have to remove the stack and recreate it in the dock. Only then does the icon show up normal. Am I missing something?

2. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Please don't tell me we have to recreate application stacks every time a new application is installed :eek:

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

4. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, but every time the stack changes?

I have my documents folder as a stack - which, to be honest, isn't much use, as I have too many items in it so I have loads of very large icons each with a "..." as the title - and obviously that folder changes constantly.

So does this mean every time an item in documents is added, my documents stack is going to slowly fill up with generic icon-not-found icons?

10.5.1 better be a 500MB download :D

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

it could be a bug for now, report it to apple and for now do Killall Dock every time.

6. Eluzion macrumors 6502

It takes a while, but eventually the icon will show up... at least it did for me.

7. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Yep, I had the same problem last night when I installed Firefox and VLC. I threw my Application stack away and re-added it back to the stack to get it to show the icons correctly (or killall dock is easier). Could this due to the sandbox thing that's new in Leopard? Or is it just a bug in the Dock :confused:

8. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's to hoping 10.5.1 will fix this as it's quite annoying :rolleyes:

9. absurdio macrumors 6502

Well, we're up to 10.5.4, now, and I'm still having this problem. I just did a clean install, today, too. I hoped a fresh install would correct things like that. No such luck.

It's not that it makes anything unusable, but, dammit, it's irritating.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It takes less than 5 seconds to drag the stack off the dock, then drag the Application folder to the dock to create a new stack. After all, how often are you adding programs? It's an esthetic issue, not a functionality problem.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have the same problem but I don't really care. it goes away once I log out. And I have to log out a lot. o it doesn't really bother me. It's not irritating either...