Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I just got a brilliant idea for stacks. For stacks like Utilities that don't completely fit in the Fan mode. Why not implement a scrolling feature in the Fan mode that lets you browse the entire stack by either the scroll wheel or the keyboard?

What you guys think?

tony4d

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I just got a brilliant idea for stacks. For stacks like Utilities that don't completely fit in the Fan mode. Why not implement a scrolling feature in the Fan mode that lets you browse the entire stack by either the scroll wheel or the keyboard?

What you guys think?

I think scrolling fan stacks is a great idea. It might not be used by everyone, but would be a welcome option.

As an implementation, there could be arrows at the bottom and top of the fan, that if clicked and held, would scroll the stacks. Those with a scroll wheel could just scroll. :)

ohforfckssake!

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Singapore
Sounds like a good idea actually. In fact, sounds obvious now that you mention it (usually the mark of a good idea). Wonder why it wasn't implemented by Apple?

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
when i first saw stacks i assumed thats what the fan stack did

apple needs to invent the super stack because each type has a flaw

Fan - doesnt show enough items and cannot open folders in the stack itself
Grid - cannot open folders in the stack itself
List - Cannot drag items out of the stack as if it was a regular item. (thanks to OS X I've gotten extremely used to using drag and dropping for everything in OS X so this bugs me)

Apple still has alot of work to do in stacks.

tony4d

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
when i first saw stacks i assumed thats what the fan stack did

apple needs to invent the super stack because each type has a flaw

Fan - doesnt show enough items and cannot open folders in the stack itself
Grid - cannot open folders in the stack itself
List - Cannot drag items out of the stack as if it was a regular item. (thanks to OS X I've gotten extremely used to using drag and dropping for everything in OS X so this bugs me)

Apple still has alot of work to do in stacks.

Several more excellent points. Hopefully Apple adds some smart features for stacks in snow leopard.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Yeah, I've had this idea since the first day I started using Leopard. It just seems so obvious to have something like that ...

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but i believe this feature was in the early leopard betas, there was an arrow at the bottom in fan mode that when clicked on would slide everything up revealing more items. You could also browse subfolders within the stack without opening a finder window.

Both features disappeared later in the beta cycle for unknown reasons, a shame really, they were quite useful.

FuuFuu

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Roselle
i also have a sony vaio laptop and i wanted to make it as OS X esque as possible without anything illegal lol. i downloaded object dock plus, which is almost as same as the dock on apple. the stacks on it is different, it doesn't have fan but it has everything else. it has something like a fan except its horizontal and it has an arrow on each side so you can move it around. its pretty cool

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Great Idea

I was just thinking of this the other day, but hadn't vocalized it. It would be a welcome addition for me anyway. My Applications stack has gotten so big that it made a menu-like pull-up that had a scroller. I'll try to get a screenshot when I get a couple more programs (I got rid of a few since).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.