Stacks in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JAZNJJ, Mar 25, 2010.

1. JAZNJJ macrumors newbie

I am very, very new to Mac having used PCs forever. Have been able to figure out to do many things but have come up with a Stacks problem. I inadvertently, while moving things around in the dock, zapped the downloads, documents and applications stacks which disappeared in artistic puffs of smoke. The information is still available via Finder but I don't know how to restore those folders to their original configuration and place in the dock. The "stacks" pdf says you can create a stack by moving folders to the right hand side of the dock but that doesn't seem to happen. Some of the searching I have done for information mention options to "save as stack" after a right-click but I have no idea how to access this, particularly as I have a new clever mouse which doesn't seem to have a right-click. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. J:)

2. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Just drag the folder from the finder into the dock, then ctrl+click on the folder and select Display As>Stack

Edit: Ctrl+Click is a 'right click' in OSX

3. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

In addition to what forcefieldkid says, please note that you can only drag a folder from the browsable bit of Finder, not from the left hand navigation panel. So click on your username in the left hand panel and you'll see your 'download' and 'documents' folders to drag to the right hand side of the dock. Your 'application' folder is not user specific, so you'll find this at the root of Macintosh HD.

Also, your mouse likely does have a right-click, you just need to enable it in your Mouse system prefs.

jx

4. JAZNJJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Stacks in Snow Leopard

Thank you both. On my way to work right now so will have to explore those options later today but it all looks promising and it is a relief that it is a fixable problem. I expected a shake-down period with the Mac until I came up to speed and I am on a very steep learning curve. Again, many thanks. J:)

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

When you drag folders to the Dock (right side) they become Stacks, as you know. But, for some reason, when you first boot up, the Stacks are displayed as Folders, yet when you have to re-create them, they are displayed as Stacks.

To understand the above, right click on a newly created Stack. You'll get a contextual menu with one grouping called "Display as". There you will see the two choices mentioned above. If set to Stack, as I anticipate, the icon in the Dock won't look the way it did before. Pick Folder, and you'll recognize it.